the Anti-Registration Act
Why hello there!
Sign in or up for all the exciting stuff Wink
Why hello there!
Sign in or up for all the exciting stuff Wink
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Where's the Hulk shit?

Go down 
+7
TJ
DanElectro
Gabe_Gray
Shadowrenderer
FallOut Pat
PeteWisdom
True Believer
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Mr.Wholesome
Kingbreaker
Kingbreaker
Mr.Wholesome

Male Age : 47

Where's the Hulk shit? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Where's the Hulk shit?   Where's the Hulk shit? - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 25, 2008 7:56 pm

Thomas wrote:
DanElectro wrote:
Thomas wrote:
NoLuv4Hoes wrote:
PeteWisdom wrote:
DanElectro wrote:
PeteWisdom wrote:
Jerk wrote:
PeteWisdom wrote:
True Believer wrote:
So, after the Iron Man movie comes out Marvel releases a new Iron Man ongoing, a Marvel Knights mini with one of Quesada's young guns on art, and the (ostensibly) long-awaited Iron Man: Legacy of Doom..

After the release of the Incredible Hulk, what does Marvel put out? Bupkis. Except maybe that "King-Size Hulk" if you count it. Hell, even his own series is mainly being bogarded by some red imitator.

WTF?

In Short..

Nobody in the comicverse lkes the Hulk anymore.

Though its weird... EVERYTHING Hulk has been downplayed depsite there being a movie.

they figure having a book written by the "mastermind" that is Jeph Loeb, is enough to satisfy fans. not to mention the coming of Hulk's kid that few really care about.

But then they have been throwing out more classic Hulk stuff.. like that massive Ominbus and such. So maybe they're trying to get interest in good works of Hulk literature.

I'd have to agree with that. After WWH I lost interest, and Red Hulk just pissed me off, and Skaar? come on..

The reprints happen for every movie, why make something new when you can sell lots of old stuff?

I'm willing to give Skaar a chance.

Why?

Because Pak wrote the amazingness known as Planet Hulk.

WWH is eh... fun I guess for the hell of it, shouldn't be taken seriously.

So given this, I'm willing to give Pak a chance in this Skaar stuff.

I said I wouldn't but for the same reason you mention (It's PAK!), I'm giving Skaar a chance.

I also prefer Planet Hulk over WWH. In fact, Prelude was also very good. WWH wasn't a disappointment at all, just not as well written. Both were equally epic.

I just realized that David's run on current X-Factor is another book touted by you guys that I've picked up in trade but haven't read yet.

Yep.

eh I was enjoying Planet Hulk until "Strange Smash" that really killed alot of the momentum of it for me. Plus the whole Sentry thing... epic fight... but... seriously? I can handle Blackbolt only cuz he was a Skrull... hopefully.

Yes, X-Factor is another highly recommended series by me.

You are at least reading Criminal right?

you have read Silent War right? Back then... I didn't even like the Inhumans much... but I loved it. IT was a damn great story... and what happens? Swept under the table because Marvel only cared about Civil War.

the inhumans always get the shaft, if u really look at their shit theyd had nothing but consistently good stories(maybe not all of em are like uber amazing but there durable) that get ignored cuz theres like this divine mandate that once kirby died no gave a shit to make them more than the eternal c list of back up characters to the fantastic 4.

and im glad blackbolt was a skrull cuz he's always kicked hulk's ass no problem itd be bullshit if he just gotta dominated like that

It was even worse for the Eternals until recently. At least over in DC they did a lot with the New Gods.

Yeah, well, let's hope that the new Eternals ongoing starts to pick up soon, because so far, I'm just reading b/c it's the ETERNALS. I hate to say it, but the series will need some kind of a major, affecting the Marvel Universe, cross over event to give it a good jump start. (yeah, I know...do we really need ANOTHER #$%@%!&* event from Marvel!?)

I don't mind the events it's all the hype and the having to wait a month between each main book. They need to release one every 2 weeks and then it would work better.

Every 2 weeks would certainly make Events better. But isn't Marvel also charging 3.99 per issue of SI--that's just them being dicks. They don't have to do that. And then they go and make it overly important to read tie-ins. And then they ruin everything by having the ending just lead into the next "event". That's the kind of bullshit that takes the excitement out of these Events; when they are just being whores about it all.
Back to top Go down
Thomas
Global
Global
Thomas

Male Age : 45

PostSubject: Re: Where's the Hulk shit?   Where's the Hulk shit? - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 25, 2008 9:52 pm

Mr.Wholesome wrote:
Thomas wrote:
DanElectro wrote:
Thomas wrote:
NoLuv4Hoes wrote:
PeteWisdom wrote:
DanElectro wrote:
PeteWisdom wrote:
Jerk wrote:
PeteWisdom wrote:
True Believer wrote:
So, after the Iron Man movie comes out Marvel releases a new Iron Man ongoing, a Marvel Knights mini with one of Quesada's young guns on art, and the (ostensibly) long-awaited Iron Man: Legacy of Doom..

After the release of the Incredible Hulk, what does Marvel put out? Bupkis. Except maybe that "King-Size Hulk" if you count it. Hell, even his own series is mainly being bogarded by some red imitator.

WTF?

In Short..

Though its weird... EVERYTHING Hulk has been downplayed depsite there being a movie.

they figure having a book written by the "mastermind" that is Jeph Loeb, is enough to satisfy fans. not to mention the coming of Hulk's kid that few really care about.

But then they have been throwing out more classic Hulk stuff.. like that massive Ominbus and such. So maybe they're trying to get interest in good works of Hulk literature.

I'd have to agree with that. After WWH I lost interest, and Red Hulk just pissed me off, and Skaar? come on..

The reprints happen for every movie, why make something new when you can sell lots of old stuff?

Why?

I said I wouldn't but for the same reason you mention (It's PAK!), I'm giving Skaar a chance.

I also prefer Planet Hulk over WWH. In fact, Prelude was also very good. WWH wasn't a disappointment at all, just not as well written. Both were equally epic.

I just realized that David's run on current X-Factor is another book touted by you guys that I've picked up in trade but haven't read yet.

Yep.

eh I was enjoying Planet Hulk until "Strange Smash" that really killed alot of the momentum of it for me. Plus the whole Sentry thing... epic fight... but... seriously? I can handle Blackbolt only cuz he was a Skrull... hopefully.

you have read Silent War right? Back then... I didn't even like the Inhumans much... but I loved it. IT was a damn great story... and what happens? Swept under the table because Marvel only cared about Civil War.

the inhumans always get the shaft, if u really look at their shit theyd had nothing but consistently good stories(maybe not all of em are like uber amazing but there durable) that get ignored cuz theres like this divine mandate that once kirby died no gave a shit to make them more than the eternal c list of back up characters to the fantastic 4.

and im glad blackbolt was a skrull cuz he's always kicked hulk's ass no problem itd be bullshit if he just gotta dominated like that

It was even worse for the Eternals until recently. At least over in DC they did a lot with the New Gods.

Yeah, well, let's hope that the new Eternals ongoing starts to pick up soon, because so far, I'm just reading b/c it's the ETERNALS. I hate to say it, but the series will need some kind of a major, affecting the Marvel Universe, cross over event to give it a good jump start. (yeah, I know...do we really need ANOTHER #$%@%!&* event from Marvel!?)

I don't mind the events it's all the hype and the having to wait a month between each main book. They need to release one every 2 weeks and then it would work better.

Every 2 weeks would certainly make Events better. But isn't Marvel also charging 3.99 per issue of SI--that's just them being dicks. They don't have to do that. And then they go and make it overly important to read tie-ins. And then they ruin everything by having the ending just lead into the next "event". That's the kind of bullshit that takes the excitement out of these Events; when they are just being whores about it all.

If they're going to charge us $3.99 the book should at least be 40 pages, a dollar for 10 pages sounds about right. They tend to have normal size or only slightly longer page count for events, they should increase the ammount of pages and decrease the ammount of issues 5 issues per event at most and they should be only allowed 2 limited run tie-ins and only if they're nececarry like with WWH X-men that was worth reading. They have all this Frontline bullshit that's boring as hell and Aftersmash and such. The only one worth reading in Aftersmash was the Warbound, who the fuck wants to read about Damage Control. And none of this crossover into comics that really don't affect the outcome of the story like say the Punisher who gives a fuck what he's doing when the big events are happening he shouldn't be involved. The Avengers characters should be the only ones we see what they do in their own mags ie Spider-man, Cap., and Ms. Marvel. Or in the case of DC what was the point of Day of Judgement or OMAC they were boring as hell and didn't really contribute enough to be necesary. Or more recently Death of the New Gods it didn't really help the story leading up to Final Crisis in fact it hurt it a little all the important stuff that happened in it could have been summed up in one issue. Wow I feel a little like Pete.
Back to top Go down
Shadowrenderer
Local
Local
Shadowrenderer

PostSubject: Re: Where's the Hulk shit?   Where's the Hulk shit? - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 25, 2008 10:03 pm

At least with final Crisis there's only a handfull of tie in one shots.

Granted there were heaps of lead in books.
Back to top Go down
True Believer
the numero dos
the numero dos
True Believer

Male Age : 34

PostSubject: Re: Where's the Hulk shit?   Where's the Hulk shit? - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 25, 2008 10:04 pm

Thomas wrote:
Mr.Wholesome wrote:
Thomas wrote:
DanElectro wrote:
Thomas wrote:
NoLuv4Hoes wrote:
PeteWisdom wrote:
DanElectro wrote:
PeteWisdom wrote:
Jerk wrote:
PeteWisdom wrote:
True Believer wrote:

WTF?

In Short..

Why?

Yep.

If they're going to charge us $3.99 the book should at least be 40 pages, a dollar for 10 pages sounds about right. They tend to have normal size or only slightly longer page count for events, they should increase the ammount of pages and decrease the ammount of issues 5 issues per event at most and they should be only allowed 2 limited run tie-ins and only if they're nececarry like with WWH X-men that was worth reading. They have all this Frontline bullshit that's boring as hell and Aftersmash and such. The only one worth reading in Aftersmash was the Warbound, who the fuck wants to read about Damage Control. And none of this crossover into comics that really don't affect the outcome of the story like say the Punisher who gives a fuck what he's doing when the big events are happening he shouldn't be involved. The Avengers characters should be the only ones we see what they do in their own mags ie Spider-man, Cap., and Ms. Marvel. Or in the case of DC what was the point of Day of Judgement or OMAC they were boring as hell and didn't really contribute enough to be necesary. Or more recently Death of the New Gods it didn't really help the story leading up to Final Crisis in fact it hurt it a little all the important stuff that happened in it could have been summed up in one issue. Wow I feel a little like Pete.

In defense of Final Crisis each issue is about 40 pages and it's seven issues rather than 8.
Back to top Go down
Thomas
Global
Global
Thomas

PostSubject: Re: Where's the Hulk shit?   Where's the Hulk shit? - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 25, 2008 10:08 pm

Shadowrenderer wrote:

That brings me to another thing the lead ins like Counrdown could have been 6 issues instead of 50+ and spinoffs the only one I liked was the Lord Havok one because the art was good and I liked the original versions from Justice League Europe.
Back to top Go down
True Believer
the numero dos
the numero dos
True Believer

PostSubject: Re: Where's the Hulk shit?   Where's the Hulk shit? - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 25, 2008 10:09 pm

Thomas wrote:
Shadowrenderer wrote:

That brings me to another thing the lead ins like Counrdown could have been 6 issues instead of 50+ and spinoffs the only one I liked was the Lord Havok one because the art was good and I liked the original versions from Justice League Europe.

Countdown should have been 0 issues.

Besides the fact that it sucked it really ruined continuity.
Back to top Go down
Thomas
Global
Global
Thomas

PostSubject: Re: Where's the Hulk shit?   Where's the Hulk shit? - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 25, 2008 10:16 pm

True Believer wrote:
Thomas wrote:
Mr.Wholesome wrote:
Thomas wrote:
DanElectro wrote:
Thomas wrote:
NoLuv4Hoes wrote:
PeteWisdom wrote:
DanElectro wrote:
PeteWisdom wrote:
Jerk wrote:
PeteWisdom wrote:
True Believer wrote:

WTF?

In Short..

Why?

Yep.

In defense of Final Crisis each issue is about 40 pages and it's seven issues rather than 8.

Yeah but unless the next issues are ten times better than the first it's going to suck.
Back to top Go down
Shadowrenderer
Local
Local
Shadowrenderer

PostSubject: Re: Where's the Hulk shit?   Where's the Hulk shit? - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 25, 2008 10:17 pm

I liked the first issue.
Back to top Go down
True Believer
the numero dos
the numero dos
True Believer

PostSubject: Re: Where's the Hulk shit?   Where's the Hulk shit? - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 25, 2008 10:20 pm

Thomas wrote:
True Believer wrote:
Thomas wrote:
Mr.Wholesome wrote:
Thomas wrote:
DanElectro wrote:
Thomas wrote:
NoLuv4Hoes wrote:
PeteWisdom wrote:
DanElectro wrote:
PeteWisdom wrote:
Jerk wrote:
PeteWisdom wrote:
True Believer wrote:

WTF?

In Short..

Why?

Yep.

Yeah but unless the next issues are ten times better than the first it's going to suck.

You thought the first issue sucked?

Granted it didn't open "big" like SI but I'd hardly say it "sucked."
Back to top Go down
Thomas
Global
Global
Thomas

PostSubject: Re: Where's the Hulk shit?   Where's the Hulk shit? - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 25, 2008 10:23 pm

True Believer wrote:
Thomas wrote:
True Believer wrote:
Thomas wrote:
Mr.Wholesome wrote:
Thomas wrote:
DanElectro wrote:
Thomas wrote:
NoLuv4Hoes wrote:
PeteWisdom wrote:
DanElectro wrote:
PeteWisdom wrote:
Jerk wrote:
PeteWisdom wrote:
True Believer wrote:

WTF?

In Short..

Why?

Yep.

I didn't say it sucked only it wasn't as intense as a first issue should be. It should grab you attention and make you not be able to resist the next issue, in this instance it fell a little short. That's what she said. And I said if the next issues don't get better which in an event should always be the case.
Back to top Go down
True Believer
the numero dos
the numero dos
True Believer

PostSubject: Re: Where's the Hulk shit?   Where's the Hulk shit? - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 25, 2008 10:38 pm

Thomas wrote:
True Believer wrote:
Thomas wrote:

I didn't say it sucked only it wasn't as intense as a first issue should be. It should grab you attention and make you not be able to resist the next issue, in this instance it fell a little short. That's what she said. And I said if the next issues don't get better which in an event should always be the case.

Issue two is definitely better. Maybe not ten times better, but the ending . . . Well, actually the ending is something we all knew was coming but still, it was big.

Last edited by True Believer on Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Thomas
Global
Global
Thomas

PostSubject: Re: Where's the Hulk shit?   Where's the Hulk shit? - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 25, 2008 10:46 pm

True Believer wrote:
Thomas wrote:
True Believer wrote:
Thomas wrote:

Issue two is definitely better. Maybe not ten times better, but the ending . . . Well, actually the ending is something we all knew was coming but still, it was big.

Can't wait tot read it haven't gone to get my comics yet.
Back to top Go down
Mr.Wholesome
Kingbreaker
Kingbreaker
Mr.Wholesome

PostSubject: Re: Where's the Hulk shit?   Where's the Hulk shit? - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 26, 2008 12:04 am

I don't think the first issue should have to be a big bang. Sometimes a story has to build. Look at Invincible (I know it's not a mini series but it works for my point) the first couple of tpb's are not as good as the third or fourth (I forget which one adds the big twist) one that really gets the ball rolling. It's at that particular turning point that the story really gets going BUT it wouldn't be such a big deal if Kirkman didn't sit on it for a while. The story depended on that big twist that came way after the story started and was not as good until that twist (it was good just not AS good). A mini series can do the same thing.
Back to top Go down
Shadowrenderer
Local
Local
Shadowrenderer

PostSubject: Re: Where's the Hulk shit?   Where's the Hulk shit? - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 26, 2008 12:08 am

Mr.Wholesome wrote:
I don't think the first issue should have to be a big bang. Sometimes a story has to build. Look at Invincible (I know it's not a mini series but it works for my point) the first couple of tpb's are not as good as the third or fourth (I forget which one adds the big twist) one that really gets the ball rolling. It's at that particular turning point that the story really gets going BUT it wouldn't be such a big deal if Kirkman didn't sit on it for a while. The story depended on that big twist that came way after the story started and was not as good until that twist (it was good just not AS good). A mini series can do the same thing.

Yes.

Take the Usual Suspects. It would be a good movie without that ending, but still fairly forgettable. But it's the twist that really makes it work.
Back to top Go down
PeteWisdom
The Chief of Sarcasm
The Chief of Sarcasm
PeteWisdom

Male Age : 39

PostSubject: Re: Where's the Hulk shit?   Where's the Hulk shit? - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 26, 2008 2:49 am

Thomas wrote:
True Believer wrote:
Thomas wrote:
True Believer wrote:
Thomas wrote:
Mr.Wholesome wrote:
Thomas wrote:
DanElectro wrote:
Thomas wrote:
NoLuv4Hoes wrote:
PeteWisdom wrote:
DanElectro wrote:
PeteWisdom wrote:
Jerk wrote:
PeteWisdom wrote:
True Believer wrote:

WTF?

In Short..

Why?

Yep.

Ummm you know that its building up... and this issue, though somewhat slow, you know it just built up and shits just hit the fan.

but in defense of Final Crisis, I prefer a story to grow into a good thing, rather than...

yeah I'm going to talk shit on Secret Invasion here.

First issue, gotta admit, I was relatively impressed. Lots going down, double pages, good stuff. What happens for like the next 3 issues? Uhhh it fizzles out.

STILL HAVEN'T addressed Captain Marvel or Marvel Boy. Sure there were 2 pages for Marvel, big whoop.

I don't care about having 5 splash pages on Skrulls or whatever. It looks pretty sure.. but I don't want it taking up 5 out of my 20 something page book thats 3.99. Especially when the series could easily be condensed. By cutting out unnessary crap, or double sizing it and bringing it down to like your average 6.

Oh and the Tie Ins? Are you kidding me? Basically every book. Again.

Final Crisis? few one shots here, some aren't necessary. But you got this, and all you really needed to read prior to this was....

DC Universe #0.
Back to top Go down
PeteWisdom
The Chief of Sarcasm
The Chief of Sarcasm
PeteWisdom

PostSubject: Re: Where's the Hulk shit?   Where's the Hulk shit? - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 26, 2008 2:50 am

Shadowrenderer wrote:

Countdown was a complete mistake

other than that, and the only real Lead In was..

DC Universe 0.

Sure there are some one shots like Requiem and stories like the ones with Flash's Rogues.

But its not all jam packed and EVERYTHING is Skrulls.
Back to top Go down
DanElectro
The Man of Tomorrow
The Man of Tomorrow
DanElectro

Male Age : 85

PostSubject: Re: Where's the Hulk shit?   Where's the Hulk shit? - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 26, 2008 3:10 am

Mr.Wholesome wrote:

If you're going to discount minis and bring in ongoings into the discussion, then I'll add both Fables and 100 Bullets to the list of books that started fairly slow and didn't improve until many issues in.
Back to top Go down
Mr.Wholesome
Kingbreaker
Kingbreaker
Mr.Wholesome

PostSubject: Re: Where's the Hulk shit?   Where's the Hulk shit? - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 26, 2008 3:18 am

DanElectro wrote:
Mr.Wholesome wrote:

If you're going to discount minis and bring in ongoings into the discussion, then I'll add both Fables and 100 Bullets to the list of books that started fairly slow and didn't improve until many issues in.

Both of those I only read the first Vol. of in TPB. Both were good but I never followed through with either series.....maybe I'll need to at some point--right after I win the lotto and quit work to read comics full time.
Back to top Go down
True Believer
the numero dos
the numero dos
True Believer

PostSubject: Re: Where's the Hulk shit?   Where's the Hulk shit? - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 26, 2008 10:11 am

DanElectro wrote:
Mr.Wholesome wrote:

Actually, I was crazy about Fables from the very beginning, just because of the concept.
Back to top Go down
PeteWisdom
The Chief of Sarcasm
The Chief of Sarcasm
PeteWisdom

PostSubject: Re: Where's the Hulk shit?   Where's the Hulk shit? - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 26, 2008 4:37 pm

True Believer wrote:
DanElectro wrote:
Mr.Wholesome wrote:

Actually, I was crazy about Fables from the very beginning, just because of the concept.

I actually really like it...

I got the first trade,

each issue I've loved, but I haven't even finished it yet. I've had it for months. For some reason its hard to get into, but when I read it, I love it.
Back to top Go down
Thomas
Global
Global
Thomas

PostSubject: Re: Where's the Hulk shit?   Where's the Hulk shit? - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 26, 2008 4:45 pm

PeteWisdom wrote:
True Believer wrote:
DanElectro wrote:
Mr.Wholesome wrote:

I got the first trade,

each issue I've loved, but I haven't even finished it yet. I've had it for months. For some reason its hard to get into, but when I read it, I love it.

Yeah, Fables is one of the best indie books out there.
Back to top Go down
PeteWisdom
The Chief of Sarcasm
The Chief of Sarcasm
PeteWisdom

PostSubject: Re: Where's the Hulk shit?   Where's the Hulk shit? - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 26, 2008 4:50 pm

Thomas wrote:
PeteWisdom wrote:
True Believer wrote:
DanElectro wrote:
Mr.Wholesome wrote:

I got the first trade,

If by Indie you mean Vertigo, which is a part of DC..

then yes.. yes its one of the best indie books.
Back to top Go down
Thomas
Global
Global
Thomas

PostSubject: Re: Where's the Hulk shit?   Where's the Hulk shit? - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 26, 2008 4:59 pm

PeteWisdom wrote:
Thomas wrote:
PeteWisdom wrote:
True Believer wrote:
DanElectro wrote:
Mr.Wholesome wrote:

I got the first trade,

Vertigo doesn't really count as DC their stories don't have interplay anymore unlike Wildstorm.
Back to top Go down
True Believer
the numero dos
the numero dos
True Believer

PostSubject: Re: Where's the Hulk shit?   Where's the Hulk shit? - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 26, 2008 5:17 pm

Thomas wrote:
PeteWisdom wrote:
Thomas wrote:
PeteWisdom wrote:
True Believer wrote:
DanElectro wrote:
Mr.Wholesome wrote:

I got the first trade,

Vertigo doesn't really count as DC their stories don't have interplay anymore unlike Wildstorm.

It may not be in the same continuity but it's still a part of DC which would exempt it from indie status.

Unless you're defining indie as "Not in the Marvel or DC Universe."
Back to top Go down
Thomas
Global
Global
Thomas

PostSubject: Re: Where's the Hulk shit?   Where's the Hulk shit? - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 26, 2008 5:20 pm

True Believer wrote:
Thomas wrote:
PeteWisdom wrote:
Thomas wrote:
PeteWisdom wrote:
True Believer wrote:
DanElectro wrote:
Mr.Wholesome wrote:

I got the first trade,

It may not be in the same continuity but it's still a part of DC which would exempt it from indie status.

Unless you're defining indie as "Not in the Marvel or DC Universe."

That's kind of how I've always seen it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Where's the Hulk shit?   Where's the Hulk shit? - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Where's the Hulk shit?
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next