the Anti-Registration Act
Why hello there!
Sign in or up for all the exciting stuff Wink
Why hello there!
Sign in or up for all the exciting stuff Wink
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

News You Can Use

Go down 
+26
shazam!
Figga
howie024m
Maxyboi2424
LifesTruesin
Leachcraft
Liquid Sword
GreatWhiteNinja
minimalist
bayani
DanElectro
TJ
TheUbiquitious_MrLoveBear
REEF aka Luke Cage
Tayley
Mr.Wholesome
Thomas
Shaun
Hedinnweis
CaptainJoel
GoZ
Shadowrenderer
Tim Radd
PeteWisdom
Gabe_Gray
True Believer
30 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 30 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage
Tim Radd
Caramel Bear
Caramel Bear
Tim Radd

Male Age : 33

News You Can Use - Page 20 Empty
PostSubject: Re: News You Can Use   News You Can Use - Page 20 EmptyThu Mar 26, 2009 10:20 pm

Liquid Sword wrote:
TB you mean I'm an Art God.

you're definitely a fag of some kind though.
fix
Back to top Go down
GoZ
The Main Man
The Main Man
GoZ

Male Age : 50

PostSubject: Re: News You Can Use   News You Can Use - Page 20 EmptyThu Mar 26, 2009 10:31 pm

Violet is as close to pink as we have....
Back to top Go down
Tim Radd
Caramel Bear
Caramel Bear
Tim Radd

Male Age : 33

PostSubject: Re: News You Can Use   News You Can Use - Page 20 EmptyThu Mar 26, 2009 10:34 pm

GoZ wrote:
Violet is as close to pink as we have....

confused
Back to top Go down
bayani
The Man of Tomorrow
The Man of Tomorrow
bayani

Male Age : 37

PostSubject: Re: News You Can Use   News You Can Use - Page 20 EmptyThu Mar 26, 2009 10:37 pm

True Believer wrote:
bayani wrote:
I'll agree with LS. I'm the most tired of the people who are tired of wolverine, and I think that these covers are pretty neat. especially since I can name the paintings that they are going for.

Alright, name each one. Go.

Anyway, I'd dig 'em more if they weren't solely Wolverine themed, but this is definitely something an art fag like myself can sink my teeth into.
That doesn't prove anything, for all you know I'm looking them up online before answering.
Back to top Go down
True Believer
the numero dos
the numero dos
True Believer

Male Age : 34

PostSubject: Re: News You Can Use   News You Can Use - Page 20 EmptyThu Mar 26, 2009 10:46 pm

bayani wrote:
True Believer wrote:
bayani wrote:
I'll agree with LS. I'm the most tired of the people who are tired of wolverine, and I think that these covers are pretty neat. especially since I can name the paintings that they are going for.

Anyway, I'd dig 'em more if they weren't solely Wolverine themed, but this is definitely something an art fag like myself can sink my teeth into.
That doesn't prove anything, for all you know I'm looking them up online before answering.

I'd be impressed if you can even do that, actually.

I'm not saying I'd be impressed with you specifically, as though I think you're dumb. I just mean it would be impressive if anyone can name them all, even with the convenience of Google you'd have to know what to search for.
Back to top Go down
DanElectro
The Man of Tomorrow
The Man of Tomorrow
DanElectro

Male Age : 85

PostSubject: Re: News You Can Use   News You Can Use - Page 20 EmptyFri Mar 27, 2009 4:21 am

True Believer wrote:
bayani wrote:
True Believer wrote:
bayani wrote:

I'd be impressed if you can even do that, actually.

I'm not saying I'd be impressed with you specifically, as though I think you're dumb. I just mean it would be impressive if anyone can name them all, even with the convenience of Google you'd have to know what to search for.

Seconded.

I can get many of these...but some...no fuckin' clue. Good luck, Bayani! The clock's a-tickin!

More from Darkknight at Myxer

Back to top Go down
bayani
The Man of Tomorrow
The Man of Tomorrow
bayani

PostSubject: Re: News You Can Use   News You Can Use - Page 20 EmptyFri Mar 27, 2009 6:56 am

Damn, there should have been a "some" in the "I can name the paintings" It's been a while since art history.

No turning back now, here goes nothing.
News You Can Use - Page 20 740633-picture_2_super
Obviously Van Goh's self portrait. Easy, so it may not count against my inevitable failure
News You Can Use - Page 20 740635-picture_6_super
Picasso, but I never remember the names of individual pieces especially when they are parodies.

News You Can Use - Page 20 740637-picture_8_super
Salvador Dali, I think.
News You Can Use - Page 20 741577-7254new_storyimage7474403_full_super
Pretty sure that's just a cave painting.

News You Can Use - Page 20 741578-7254new_storyimage7474523_full_super
not sure
News You Can Use - Page 20 CaptainBritain_12_WolverineArtAppreciation
again not sure

News You Can Use - Page 20 Wolverinesplayingpoker
The fucking Dog one, I never knew the artist
News You Can Use - Page 20 740636-picture_7_super
Worhol
News You Can Use - Page 20 Mucha
Is this supposed to be like Orthodox Art? Unless this is someones specific style I would say they are copying the art of the contemporaries of. . . shit wassisname?
the guy who did the first frescoes of the . . .
News You Can Use - Page 20 Wyeth
Aaaaand I don't remember his name, which is sad because he did lots of stuff I liked. contemporary of Goya before he went crazy.

What is that 3 out of 7? I suck.
Back to top Go down
Figga
Odd Man Out
Odd Man Out
Figga

PostSubject: Re: News You Can Use   News You Can Use - Page 20 EmptyFri Mar 27, 2009 7:50 am

Hm.
Back to top Go down
Liquid Sword
The Immortal Weapon
The Immortal Weapon
Liquid Sword

PostSubject: Re: News You Can Use   News You Can Use - Page 20 EmptyFri Mar 27, 2009 10:08 am

bayani wrote:
Damn, there should have been a "some" in the "I can name the paintings" It's been a while since art history.

Obviously Van Goh's self portrait. Easy, so it may not count against my inevitable failure
Picasso, but I never remember the names of individual pieces especially when they are parodies.

Salvador Dali, I think.

not sure
again not sure

Worhol
Is this supposed to be like Orthodox Art? Unless this is someones specific style I would say they are copying the art of the contemporaries of. . . shit wassisname?
Aaaaand I don't remember his name, which is sad because he did lots of stuff I liked. contemporary of Goya before he went crazy.

Your wrong about the Dali. good call on the cave painting. The one with the umbrella is modeled after a woman's style.

The Runaway's painting is based off of Alphonse Mucca.
Back to top Go down
Figga
Odd Man Out
Odd Man Out
Figga

PostSubject: Re: News You Can Use   News You Can Use - Page 20 EmptyFri Mar 27, 2009 10:21 am

Maaaaannn... where's the Bob Ross-inspired painting?
Back to top Go down
Liquid Sword
The Immortal Weapon
The Immortal Weapon
Liquid Sword

PostSubject: Re: News You Can Use   News You Can Use - Page 20 EmptyFri Mar 27, 2009 10:26 am

Figga wrote:

no trees here I'm afraid.
Back to top Go down
Figga
Odd Man Out
Odd Man Out
Figga

PostSubject: Re: News You Can Use   News You Can Use - Page 20 EmptyFri Mar 27, 2009 10:30 am

Liquid Sword wrote:
Figga wrote:

*pic of Darth Vader screaming NOOOOOOOOO!*
Back to top Go down
True Believer
the numero dos
the numero dos
True Believer

PostSubject: Re: News You Can Use   News You Can Use - Page 20 EmptyFri Mar 27, 2009 2:38 pm

Liquid Sword wrote:
Figga wrote:

HAPPY FUCKING TREES!
Back to top Go down
Liquid Sword
The Immortal Weapon
The Immortal Weapon
Liquid Sword

PostSubject: Re: News You Can Use   News You Can Use - Page 20 EmptyFri Mar 27, 2009 3:35 pm

Bob Ross is a douche.
Back to top Go down
bayani
The Man of Tomorrow
The Man of Tomorrow
bayani

PostSubject: Re: News You Can Use   News You Can Use - Page 20 EmptyFri Mar 27, 2009 6:32 pm

Liquid Sword wrote:

Your wrong about the Dali. good call on the cave painting. The one with the umbrella is modeled after a woman's style.

I went with Dali because of the Photo realism but I didn't recognize the pose. Damn.

What about the two I wrote "not sure"? I recognize the toon staring down the little girl but the other one I'm lost.
Back to top Go down
bayani
The Man of Tomorrow
The Man of Tomorrow
bayani

PostSubject: Re: News You Can Use   News You Can Use - Page 20 EmptyFri Mar 27, 2009 6:38 pm

bayani wrote:
Liquid Sword wrote:

I went with Dali because of the Photo realism but I didn't recognize the pose. Damn.

What about the two I wrote "not sure"? I recognize the toon staring down the little girl but the other one I'm lost.
Wait is it Ukiyo e like Utamaro? Or is it like the Demon Scrolls? Is it at least clasical Japanese? Or is it that lady who was hailed as the last Ukiyo e artist? Dante Help me out!
Back to top Go down
DanElectro
The Man of Tomorrow
The Man of Tomorrow
DanElectro

PostSubject: Re: News You Can Use   News You Can Use - Page 20 EmptyFri Mar 27, 2009 6:52 pm

Liquid Sword wrote:
bayani wrote:

Salvador Dali, I think.

not sure
again not sure

Worhol

Nice try on some of these... Laughing

The umbrella pic is inspired by Magritte not some "woman." Unless...Magritte..."maggie" ...dunno what you were thinking.

The poker pic is inspired by the various dog paintings including poker playing dogs by Coolidge.

This one I'm pretty sure is inspired by Gustav Klimt a contemporary of Mucha (NOT "Mucca") and Art Noveau painter:

So you were right about Runaways being inspired by Mucha.

The one Bayani attributes to Goya's contemporary, I would've said it actually was inspired by Francisco Goya.

The cave painting pic was inspired probably by the Lascaux (sp?) Cave Paintings. Same colors and brush strokes as some of the paintings.

I'm going to guess that this one is inspired by Hirschfeld's caricature art:

Lecture's over...class dismissed!
Back to top Go down
Liquid Sword
The Immortal Weapon
The Immortal Weapon
Liquid Sword

PostSubject: Re: News You Can Use   News You Can Use - Page 20 EmptyFri Mar 27, 2009 6:57 pm

bayani wrote:
bayani wrote:
Liquid Sword wrote:

Wait is it Ukiyo e like Utamaro? Or is it like the Demon Scrolls? Is it at least clasical Japanese? Or is it that lady who was hailed as the last Ukiyo e artist? Dante Help me out!

Dali is a surrealist. None of those paintings are surrealism. I''m sure that I didn't post all of the covers, and Dali is one of the ones I didn't post.

I know the rest of these because of research on the Wolverine covers not al of it is my own knowledge.

Let's see.

Umbrella painting is Rene Margritte

cartoon style is Edward Gorey

painting with the wolverines at the card table is C.M. Coolidge

Wolverine killing the samurai is Gustav Klimt

the Wolverine and Cyclops is Wyeth, though Goya was a good guess.

News You Can Use - Page 20 Wolverine%2Bas%2BMasterpiece%2B-%2Bwashingtonpost.com_1237430665292

This is the Dali inspired painting. Notice the dripping sun. Dali was known for his dripping clocks and what not.

News You Can Use - Page 20 7254ne10

Inspired by Roy Lichtenstein, (who is a pop art douche)

News You Can Use - Page 20 7254ne11

Japanese Woodblock replica.

News You Can Use - Page 20 7254ne12

Edward Munch. This is prob one of my favorites as I really like Munch.
Back to top Go down
Liquid Sword
The Immortal Weapon
The Immortal Weapon
Liquid Sword

PostSubject: Re: News You Can Use   News You Can Use - Page 20 EmptyFri Mar 27, 2009 6:59 pm

And I said Margritte was a woman because his first name is rene'

I knew his name not his face and assumed he was a she.
Back to top Go down
Liquid Sword
The Immortal Weapon
The Immortal Weapon
Liquid Sword

PostSubject: Re: News You Can Use   News You Can Use - Page 20 EmptyFri Mar 27, 2009 6:59 pm

Liquid Sword wrote:
And I said Margritte was a woman because his first name is rene'

I knew his name not his face and assumed he was a she.

also cave painting is just inspired by a cave painting.
Back to top Go down
bayani
The Man of Tomorrow
The Man of Tomorrow
bayani

PostSubject: Re: News You Can Use   News You Can Use - Page 20 EmptyFri Mar 27, 2009 7:34 pm

Liquid Sword wrote:

News You Can Use - Page 20 7254ne11

Japanese Woodblock replica.
I was always impressed at how realistic Dali's work was. Even though it was weird and defied the laws of everything, it almost looked like a photo of the weird shit happening. Thus I guessed Dali. That said my comp isn't showing me the Dali pic.

And that's not any Ukiyo e artist, that's Sharaku (i think that's how you spell it) Do i get another point?
Back to top Go down
Mr.Wholesome
Kingbreaker
Kingbreaker
Mr.Wholesome

Male Age : 47

PostSubject: Re: News You Can Use   News You Can Use - Page 20 EmptyWed Apr 08, 2009 7:06 pm

This seems like a very intelligent way to bring in new readers.

Sunday Comics on Wednesday? DC's New 'Wednesday Comics'
By Matt Brady
posted: 19 March 2009 04:11 pm ET

At a time when many newspapers are cutting back on their comics sections, DC Comics is looking to remind readers of the fun and excitement a full Sunday-sized comics section can offer.

Except they’re going to do it on Wednesdays.

The publisher today officially announced Wednesday Comics, a new 12-part weekly series launching this summer that will be presented in a 14” x 20” broadsheet format and will have to be unfolded and opened to be read. The "Wednesday" part of the title refers to the fact new comic books go on sale at comic book stores nationwide every Wednesday.

“The concept is that we are trying to recapture the spirit, format, and sense of enjoyment that people had form reading the Sunday comics that arrive in newspapers every week,” DC Sr VP and Executive Editor Dan DiDio explained to Newsarama. “So, for this 12 week period, we’re creating 16 weekly strips that will be presented in newspaper format, which will feature some of our primary characters, as well as some of the premiere creators in the business.”

DiDio credits DC Art Director Mark Chiarello’s passion and persistence for the project seeing the light of day.

“Mark really championed and fought for this,” DiDio said. “He has a real sense for putting together some of the more commercial projects we do, as well as some of the most eclectic and critically successful things we’ve done as well. He was instrumental in pairing Jeph Loeb and Jim Lee on Batman: Hush, he put together the teams on all the Batman: Black and White projects, and created the concept of the Solo series, which allowed some of comics best creators to come to a comic and do, literally whatever they wanted to do. Mark has an incredibly keen eye for story and art, and from the start was very passionate about this format – and how the stories would play out, and the art would be almost larger than life for the reader.”

Characters coming up in the pages of Wednesday Comics include: Hawkman (already linked to creator Kyle Baker art for which can be seen here), Batman, Adam Strange, Metamorpho (linked to Neil Gaiman and Mike Allred), Catwoman, Demon, Deadman, Kamandi, Superman, Sgt. Rock, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, Teen Titans, Supergirl, Flash and the Metal Men . Each story will have its own full-page installment each week for the 12 issues. The stories may be standalone stories with each installment, or a 12-part serial – the choice was left up to the creators.

DiDio listed off names of some of the other creators joining Baker, Gaiman and Allred on Wednesday Comics: Brian Azzarello, Paul Pope, Walt Simonson, Dave Bullock, Dave Gibbons, Ryan Sook, John Arcudi, Lee Bermejo, Joe Kubert, Ben Caldwell, Kurt Busiek, Eddie Berganza, Jimmy Palmiotti, Amanda Conner and Karl Kerschel. More will be announced at a later date, along with an official pairing of creators and characters.

“Mark had creators in mind that he wanted to work with, and he approached them and asked what they wanted to do and work on. We didn’t want to have any redundancies, so we shot for the widest breadth of storytelling we could, and I think we got it,” DiDio said.

Finally, DiDio stated that the stories in Wednesday Comics will not take place in current DC Comics’ continuity, but rather will be accessible by any and all readers. “All the creators are working to make sure that these stories are being created from the standpoint that the readers is someone who has never seen or read anything with the character before,” DiDio said, “And really capture both the essence of the character as well as the magic of comics.”

Check back with Newsarama tomorrow for an interivew with Mark Chiarello about the origins of Wednesday Comics.
Back to top Go down
True Believer
the numero dos
the numero dos
True Believer

PostSubject: Re: News You Can Use   News You Can Use - Page 20 EmptyWed Apr 08, 2009 7:15 pm

Uhm . . . This could be good? I've never been a fan of the "serial drama comic strip" thing. I want my comic strips to be, setup--->punchline.

I much prefer action in a large 22-page full color format shot straight into my arm through a dirty syringe.
Back to top Go down
DanElectro
The Man of Tomorrow
The Man of Tomorrow
DanElectro

PostSubject: Re: News You Can Use   News You Can Use - Page 20 EmptyWed Apr 08, 2009 8:42 pm

Mr.Wholesome wrote:
This seems like a very intelligent way to bring in new readers.

Sunday Comics on Wednesday? DC's New 'Wednesday Comics'
By Matt Brady
posted: 19 March 2009 04:11 pm ET

At a time when many newspapers are cutting back on their comics sections, DC Comics is looking to remind readers of the fun and excitement a full Sunday-sized comics section can offer.

Except they’re going to do it on Wednesdays.

The publisher today officially announced Wednesday Comics, a new 12-part weekly series launching this summer that will be presented in a 14” x 20” broadsheet format and will have to be unfolded and opened to be read. The "Wednesday" part of the title refers to the fact new comic books go on sale at comic book stores nationwide every Wednesday.

“The concept is that we are trying to recapture the spirit, format, and sense of enjoyment that people had form reading the Sunday comics that arrive in newspapers every week,” DC Sr VP and Executive Editor Dan DiDio explained to Newsarama. “So, for this 12 week period, we’re creating 16 weekly strips that will be presented in newspaper format, which will feature some of our primary characters, as well as some of the premiere creators in the business.”

DiDio credits DC Art Director Mark Chiarello’s passion and persistence for the project seeing the light of day.

“Mark really championed and fought for this,” DiDio said. “He has a real sense for putting together some of the more commercial projects we do, as well as some of the most eclectic and critically successful things we’ve done as well. He was instrumental in pairing Jeph Loeb and Jim Lee on Batman: Hush, he put together the teams on all the Batman: Black and White projects, and created the concept of the Solo series, which allowed some of comics best creators to come to a comic and do, literally whatever they wanted to do. Mark has an incredibly keen eye for story and art, and from the start was very passionate about this format – and how the stories would play out, and the art would be almost larger than life for the reader.”

Characters coming up in the pages of Wednesday Comics include: Hawkman (already linked to creator Kyle Baker art for which can be seen here), Batman, Adam Strange, Metamorpho (linked to Neil Gaiman and Mike Allred), Catwoman, Demon, Deadman, Kamandi, Superman, Sgt. Rock, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, Teen Titans, Supergirl, Flash and the Metal Men . Each story will have its own full-page installment each week for the 12 issues. The stories may be standalone stories with each installment, or a 12-part serial – the choice was left up to the creators.

DiDio listed off names of some of the other creators joining Baker, Gaiman and Allred on Wednesday Comics: Brian Azzarello, Paul Pope, Walt Simonson, Dave Bullock, Dave Gibbons, Ryan Sook, John Arcudi, Lee Bermejo, Joe Kubert, Ben Caldwell, Kurt Busiek, Eddie Berganza, Jimmy Palmiotti, Amanda Conner and Karl Kerschel. More will be announced at a later date, along with an official pairing of creators and characters.

“Mark had creators in mind that he wanted to work with, and he approached them and asked what they wanted to do and work on. We didn’t want to have any redundancies, so we shot for the widest breadth of storytelling we could, and I think we got it,” DiDio said.

Finally, DiDio stated that the stories in Wednesday Comics will not take place in current DC Comics’ continuity, but rather will be accessible by any and all readers. “All the creators are working to make sure that these stories are being created from the standpoint that the readers is someone who has never seen or read anything with the character before,” DiDio said, “And really capture both the essence of the character as well as the magic of comics.”

Check back with Newsarama tomorrow for an interivew with Mark Chiarello about the origins of Wednesday Comics.

This ...is brilliant! cheers
Back to top Go down
Mr.Wholesome
Kingbreaker
Kingbreaker
Mr.Wholesome

Male Age : 47

PostSubject: Re: News You Can Use   News You Can Use - Page 20 EmptyWed May 20, 2009 1:47 am

Photobucket
Goodbye Captain Britain

As you may have noticed, there’s no solicitation today for #16 of Captain Britain and MI-13. That, unfortunately, is because #15 is the last issue. A lot of books end without a word from their creative teams, but, with Marvel’s blessing, I didn’t want that to be the case this time. There are, I think, a few things worth saying at this point.

Firstly, and most importantly, I wanted to say a huge thank you to our loyal and enthusiastic fans. People like Mark Roberts (known as The Sword is Drawn), Dave Wallace, John Mosby, the guys at I,Fanboy, and all those others who’ve been so vocal for us on the internet, who have created and run banners in support of the book, and those who just bought the book and enjoyed it... you lot rock.

Secondly, I’ve been honoured to have had my scripts graced throughout the life of this comic not just by the talents of our various stellar fill in artists, and our special guests on the Annual, Marvellous Mike Collins and Awesome Adrian Alphona, but by the regular brilliance of Leonard ‘Captain’ Kirk. He’s been worth his weight in gold, and is one of the reasons I’ve enjoyed this run so much. It’s entirely possible our association isn’t over, and thank goodness for that. Plus, one of the lovely things about this book is watching everyone step up, from colourists like Eager Beaver Brian Reber and Canny Christina Strain to our many talented inkers and letterers. Maybe it’s the effort it takes to make the British visuals work that does it. It’s been a delight to see so many people taking their work so seriously.

And, of course, where would I be without Naughty Nick Lowe and Daniel ‘Danny’ Ketchum? (And back at the start, Nick’s first Assistant Editor, Will Panzo.) Nick was the first editor to take me on at Marvel, and he’s been a continual source of support and inspiration. And deadlines. I know for a fact that we’ll continue to be working together, and thank goodness for that too.

Thirdly, you know that time when the whole internet thought we were cancelled? We genuinely weren’t. The book coming to an end now isn’t a revelation that the rumours then were ‘true all along’. If it had been true then, I’d have told you then. I think that controversy, and the extremely welcome reaction from fans, ended up doing a lot of good.

Lastly, and this is really important, while we didn’t know this would be the last arc until comparatively recently, I had it in mind that it was possible it would be from the time I started plotting it. Indeed, the end of this arc marks the end of what I had planned for the book when I started. One of the images right at the finish is what I always felt I was heading towards, and I’m very pleased I got there. So: you will get a real, thorough, proper, ending, not just of ‘Vampire State’, but of the whole run. It hasn’t been rushed to fit the space, it hasn’t been compromised, it won’t just suddenly cut off: it’s what I intended. I think the Annual and the two remaining issues finish off one of my best stories in any media, and that story is actually the entirety of Captain Britain and MI-13. You’ll see what I mean a bit more next issue. This is a comic with a proper ending.

I’ve enjoyed writing a monthly comic more than almost anything else I’ve done as a writer. I’ve enjoyed collaborating with all these talented people. I’ve particularly enjoyed becoming one of the gang at Marvel. Please don’t desert us as we approach our ending. I see it as the last three episodes of our last season. So tell your friends, see if they want to catch up, and please join us for an ending where, as I think you saw last issue, literally anything can happen.

Thanks again for your support. See you for the Annual on June 3rd. And Cheerio.

http://www.paulcornell.com/2009/05/goodbye-captain-britain.html
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: News You Can Use   News You Can Use - Page 20 Empty

Back to top Go down

News You Can Use
Page 20 of 40Go to page : Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 30 ... 40  Next