the Anti-Registration Act
Why hello there!
Sign in or up for all the exciting stuff Wink
Why hello there!
Sign in or up for all the exciting stuff Wink
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Did you read it?

Go down 
+17
Shaun
Figga
bayani
CaptainJoel
Sink
shazam!
TJ
NoLuv4Hoes
Shadowrenderer
DanElectro
Tim Radd
GoZ
Thomas
True Believer
Liquid Sword
Aycock
markrocks
21 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
NoLuv4Hoes
The Champ
The Champ
NoLuv4Hoes

Male Age : 38

Did you read it? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Did you read it?   Did you read it? - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 05, 2010 6:20 pm

True Believer wrote:
DanElectro wrote:
True Believer wrote:
Tim Radd wrote:
So, who's read "Superman: Earth One" yet?

Is it a good read? Yes.

Is it a Superman storyline that ranks with the best of em? No.

There really isn't anything wrong with the book. Outside of the fact that JMS had so much potential to change around the origin of Superman, change so many details, but...didn't.

He did make small changes which I liked such as the costume, looks awesome with the subtle changes. The "S" is from Ma and Pa Kent, not his family crest or anything. The destruction of Krypton was different.

As for his character, idk. He's a quite teen who seems kinda distant trying to find his place. But it's not as annoying as it usually is portrayed in movies and such.

Jimmy Olsen is a badass from the get go(as he should be lol). It left a few questions open and possibilities. Like for instance, Brainiac was kind of hinted at.

It's written like a movie more so than a comic book to be honest. That's really the only way I was looking at this. I felt like this what the new Superman movie would be like, annnnnnd I wouldn't mind it if it was a movie. It's not what I want, but it'd be a good movie. It turned out well.

The main selling point for this book though, really is the art. It's fantastic.

also two big things
Spoiler:

He was not a teenager.

I agree with the rest. I feel like this could have been a movie script. It was surprisingly faithful to the Superman mythos without feeling re-tread which even Johns didn't manage to accomplish with Secret Origin. While I didn't mind the introduction of a new villain and race related to the Kryptonians, I feel like there are so many alien races in the DCU -- and JMS is working with a totally fresh continuity -- that it could have just as easily been a cool re-design of Brainiac with the race being Coluans or even a Daxamite. (Seriously, though, who names an Alien "Tyrell"?) Though I understand why he might not want an established villain to get taken out as easily as he ultimately was, the result was still a bad guy whose name and planet most people won't remember.

If this had been the first arc in an ongoing monthly or even bi-monthly, I'd say it was (almost) perfect. But as this is supposed to, more or less, stand alone with the next volume not being released for several months I feel like alot of good story probably got left on the cutting room floor, or saved for a later volume at the expense of this one.

I liked it as a stand alone-but am glad it wasn't! (Are you guys sure it wasn't? I know nothing about this title...)

I couldn't stand that fact that Lois was so obviously light boxed from pics of Deborah Morgan ("Dexter")! I call shenanigans on how blatantly unoriginal and uninspired that made the artwork!!!

I kinda see that in some panels, but for the most part it just looks like a bit of photo referencing to me.

^this^ besides overall Earth One was pretty good so i kinda dismissed any minor gripes i had with it.
Back to top Go down
TJ
Dark Prime
Dark Prime
TJ

Male Age : 37

PostSubject: Re: Did you read it?   Did you read it? - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 10, 2010 10:13 pm

Last issue of Thanos Imperiative.

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
markrocks
The Alpha
The Alpha
markrocks

Male Age : 50

PostSubject: Re: Did you read it?   Did you read it? - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 10, 2010 11:57 pm

Liquid Sword wrote:
Tim Radd wrote:
Invincible #75

Anyone? Probably the most brutal issue yet. Sooooooo good. Ryan really shined with his art this issue.

That 6 dollar price tag is stupid tho. Science dog and Tech Jacket are not enough to justify it. Especially after it took 3 months for issue #75 to come out.

And yes Ryan Ottely did work this issue.

what he said. at least when savage dragon has a delux issue it has extra pages and pin ups and letter pages. Then it has back up stories.
Back to top Go down
Liquid Sword
The Immortal Weapon
The Immortal Weapon
Liquid Sword

Male Age : 34

PostSubject: Re: Did you read it?   Did you read it? - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 05, 2010 8:44 pm

The Taskmaster mini concluded this week. One of my favorite stories this year. Added some much needed depth to Tasky without taking too much away from what makes him awesome.

Fred Van Lente created some awesome throw away villains as well. I'll prob buy this trade when it comes out.
Back to top Go down
Sink
The Omega
The Omega
Sink

Male Age : 42

PostSubject: Re: Did you read it?   Did you read it? - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 05, 2010 11:19 pm

Liquid Sword wrote:
The Taskmaster mini concluded this week. One of my favorite stories this year. Added some much needed depth to Tasky without taking too much away from what makes him awesome.

Fred Van Lente created some awesome throw away villains as well. I'll prob buy this trade when it comes out.

I was going to pick up this series and passed on it, mostly due to the lack of funds. Glad to hear that you liked it though, I'll have to look for the trade as well.

I got all my Shadowlands books, and I liked the series. Sad it's over.
Back to top Go down
CaptainJoel
Fight for the Lost
Fight for the Lost
CaptainJoel

PostSubject: Re: Did you read it?   Did you read it? - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 06, 2010 12:44 am

Anyone read the first issue of Batman: Orphans? I had really mixed feelings on it.

Also, that Monica chick had a reallllllly disproportionate rack.
Back to top Go down
CaptainJoel
Fight for the Lost
Fight for the Lost
CaptainJoel

PostSubject: Re: Did you read it?   Did you read it? - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 31, 2010 7:51 pm

I just started reading Spider-Man Reign and I really don't like it, I was always told it's DKR for Spidey and now that I'm reading it I completely agree. Why did they do this? Even the art looks like DKR's! And the story sucks pretty badly compared to DKR.

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
NoLuv4Hoes
The Champ
The Champ
NoLuv4Hoes

PostSubject: Re: Did you read it?   Did you read it? - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 01, 2011 2:13 pm

CaptainJoel wrote:
Anyone read the first issue of Batman: Orphans? I had really mixed feelings on it.

i thought it was decent but idk y it came out now or why they didnt just use the modern status quo, it didnt even make much use of the Batman family specific to that time frame to rationalize why they did so imo.

also

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
CaptainJoel
Fight for the Lost
Fight for the Lost
CaptainJoel

PostSubject: Re: Did you read it?   Did you read it? - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 01, 2011 2:51 pm

NoLuv4Hoes wrote:
CaptainJoel wrote:

i thought it was decent but idk y it came out now or why they didnt just use the modern status quo, it didnt even make much use of the Batman family specific to that time frame to rationalize why they did so imo.

also

Spoiler:
I completely agree, it was odd that they didn't use the modern Bat-family,
Spoiler:
It was an odd mini, I don't know why it came out... They have to be planning something with it. Maybe they made it to come up with a talent pool for Robins for Batman Inc. or something.
Back to top Go down
TJ
Dark Prime
Dark Prime
TJ

PostSubject: Re: Did you read it?   Did you read it? - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 04, 2011 10:15 pm

A book I borrowed from a guy I know......and I can actually say that this is a book and not a comic book because there are no panel layouts of any sort.

Elektra and Wolverine: The Redeemer. I finished this in two days, but this is something anyone could pound out in a few hours. I think this was very good. Basically a kind of "untold tale" on how Elektra and Wolverine were manipulated into confronting each other over this one girl. IMO solid work here and worth the time to read.
Back to top Go down
CaptainJoel
Fight for the Lost
Fight for the Lost
CaptainJoel

PostSubject: Re: Did you read it?   Did you read it? - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 05, 2011 3:33 am

TJ wrote:
A book I borrowed from a guy I know......and I can actually say that this is a book and not a comic book because there are no panel layouts of any sort.

Elektra and Wolverine: The Redeemer. I finished this in two days, but this is something anyone could pound out in a few hours. I think this was very good. Basically a kind of "untold tale" on how Elektra and Wolverine were manipulated into confronting each other over this one girl. IMO solid work here and worth the time to read.
I have this, too and while the art is gorgeous, I didn't like the story much.
Back to top Go down
DanElectro
The Man of Tomorrow
The Man of Tomorrow
DanElectro

Male Age : 85

PostSubject: Re: Did you read it?   Did you read it? - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 05, 2011 6:29 am

TJ wrote:

What do you mean it's not a comic? What is it? Never heard of it...Pics?
Back to top Go down
bayani
The Man of Tomorrow
The Man of Tomorrow
bayani

PostSubject: Re: Did you read it?   Did you read it? - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 03, 2011 4:57 am

Invincible Iron Man #500

Read it here: http://omegaeffect.forumotion.com/t1898-the-invincible-iron-man-500

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
markrocks
The Alpha
The Alpha
markrocks

PostSubject: Re: Did you read it?   Did you read it? - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 03, 2011 11:45 pm

CaptainJoel wrote:
TJ wrote:

I have this, too and while the art is gorgeous, I didn't like the story much.
i gotta i think the opposite.
Back to top Go down
markrocks
The Alpha
The Alpha
markrocks

PostSubject: Re: Did you read it?   Did you read it? - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 03, 2011 11:47 pm

bayani wrote:
Invincible Iron Man #500

Read it here: http://omegaeffect.forumotion.com/t1898-the-invincible-iron-man-500

Spoiler:

YES spidey makes this story better. also matt fraction has a great handel on spidey. if wants to add another book he could start a Peter parker spider-man.
Back to top Go down
bayani
The Man of Tomorrow
The Man of Tomorrow
bayani

PostSubject: Re: Did you read it?   Did you read it? - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 04, 2011 4:29 am

markrocks wrote:
bayani wrote:
Invincible Iron Man #500

Spoiler:

YES spidey makes this story better. also matt fraction has a great handel on spidey. if wants to add another book he could start a Peter parker spider-man.
Yeah, I would much rather see him on Spidey than Thor.
Back to top Go down
DanElectro
The Man of Tomorrow
The Man of Tomorrow
DanElectro

Male Age : 85

PostSubject: Re: Did you read it?   Did you read it? - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 04, 2011 4:51 am

bayani wrote:
markrocks wrote:
bayani wrote:
Invincible Iron Man #500

Spoiler:

i agree. Fraction writes Spidey very well.
Back to top Go down
Figga
Odd Man Out
Odd Man Out
Figga

PostSubject: Re: Did you read it?   Did you read it? - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 05, 2011 2:25 am

DanElectro wrote:
bayani wrote:
markrocks wrote:
bayani wrote:
Invincible Iron Man #500

Spoiler:

Is it me or has his run on Thor been kinda meh?
Back to top Go down
TJ
Dark Prime
Dark Prime
TJ

PostSubject: Re: Did you read it?   Did you read it? - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 05, 2011 2:28 am

Figga wrote:
DanElectro wrote:
bayani wrote:
markrocks wrote:
bayani wrote:
Invincible Iron Man #500

Spoiler:

Thor imo hasn't really been as great as when it first started, however that recent arc in Hela's domain was pretty sweet. But this current story arc is not bad for what it is.

But....

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
Figga
Odd Man Out
Odd Man Out
Figga

PostSubject: Re: Did you read it?   Did you read it? - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 05, 2011 2:31 am

TJ wrote:
Figga wrote:
DanElectro wrote:
bayani wrote:
markrocks wrote:
bayani wrote:
Invincible Iron Man #500

Spoiler:

Thor imo hasn't really been as great as when it first started, however that recent arc in Hela's domain was pretty sweet. But this current story arc is not bad for what it is.

But....

Spoiler:

Totally. Shit, it hadn't even been a full year...
Back to top Go down
Liquid Sword
The Immortal Weapon
The Immortal Weapon
Liquid Sword

PostSubject: Re: Did you read it?   Did you read it? - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 05, 2011 4:51 am

Fraction's Iron Man, is my favorite solo hero book at Marvel right now.
I missed some issues of Thor so I'm kinda confused about what exactly is happening, lol.

I wish more crazy, uber powerful shit was happening in that book tho.
Back to top Go down
NoLuv4Hoes
The Champ
The Champ
NoLuv4Hoes

PostSubject: Re: Did you read it?   Did you read it? - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 05, 2011 7:36 am

Liquid Sword wrote:
I missed some issues of Thor so I'm kinda confused about what exactly is happening, lol.

hell if it wasn't for Fraction I wouldnt even read Iron Man, he's definitely made the character great again after him being written so unlikable for so long. Fraction's X-Men run is pretty outstanding as well
Back to top Go down
GoZ
The Main Man
The Main Man
GoZ

PostSubject: Re: Did you read it?   Did you read it? - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 06, 2011 12:38 am

NoLuv4Hoes wrote:
Liquid Sword wrote:

hell if it wasn't for Fraction I wouldnt even read Iron Man, he's definitely made the character great again after him being written so unlikable for so long. Fraction's X-Men run is pretty outstanding as well

The great thing about Fraction, other than I think he's a good writer, is that he's the modern day "dream come true".......He was just a fan, that posted on internet comic forums, and now the ideas he posted are seeing fruition....
Back to top Go down
TJ
Dark Prime
Dark Prime
TJ

PostSubject: Re: Did you read it?   Did you read it? - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 06, 2011 12:46 am

GoZ wrote:
NoLuv4Hoes wrote:
Liquid Sword wrote:

The great thing about Fraction, other than I think he's a good writer, is that he's the modern day "dream come true".......He was just a fan, that posted on internet comic forums, and now the ideas he posted are seeing fruition....

This is becoming more and more frequent now a days, especially with an increase of creator owned comics. It's good that these companies are giving us a chance to write what we see.
Back to top Go down
GoZ
The Main Man
The Main Man
GoZ

PostSubject: Re: Did you read it?   Did you read it? - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 06, 2011 12:48 am

TJ wrote:
GoZ wrote:
NoLuv4Hoes wrote:
Liquid Sword wrote:

This is becoming more and more frequent now a days, especially with an increase of creator owned comics. It's good that these companies are giving us a chance to write what we see.

I also think it's kool that he uses his "screen name" as a writer.....
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Did you read it?   Did you read it? - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Did you read it?
Page 2 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next