the Anti-Registration Act
Why hello there!
Sign in or up for all the exciting stuff Wink
Why hello there!
Sign in or up for all the exciting stuff Wink
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Artist/Writer Must-Reads

Go down 
+12
Mr.Wholesome
xyamuchax
PeteWisdom
True Believer
howie024m
NoLuv4Hoes
Thomas
DanElectro
GoZ
markrocks
shazam!
CaptainJoel
16 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
CaptainJoel
Fight for the Lost
Fight for the Lost
CaptainJoel

Male Age : 34

Artist/Writer Must-Reads Empty
PostSubject: Artist/Writer Must-Reads   Artist/Writer Must-Reads EmptyMon Sep 26, 2011 7:43 am

Okay, I've been wanting to make a thread compiling not just my favorite works by a certain artist/writer, but also what I consider the absolute BEST of their abilities for a long time and I realized I'd also LOVE to read some of your suggestions to experience the best of your favorites. I'll start us off:

-Mark Millar-
Superman: Red Son
Ultimate X-Men
The Flash: Emergency Stop

-John Romita Jr.-
Wolverine: Enemy of the State
Thorion and the New Asgods
Cable
Punisher

-Warren Ellis-
Nextwave: Agents of H.A.T.E.
Doom 2099
Supergod
Back to top Go down
shazam!
The Man of Tomorrow
The Man of Tomorrow
shazam!

Male Age : 92

PostSubject: Re: Artist/Writer Must-Reads   Artist/Writer Must-Reads EmptyMon Sep 26, 2011 1:23 pm

You picked Emergency Stop over The Ultimates for Milllar?
Back to top Go down
markrocks
The Alpha
The Alpha
markrocks

Male Age : 50

PostSubject: Re: Artist/Writer Must-Reads   Artist/Writer Must-Reads EmptyMon Sep 26, 2011 6:29 pm

shazam! wrote:

what he said. also my favorit work from Ellis was his X-Force.

to make my own list i will have ro think about it and get back to you.
Back to top Go down
CaptainJoel
Fight for the Lost
Fight for the Lost
CaptainJoel

PostSubject: Re: Artist/Writer Must-Reads   Artist/Writer Must-Reads EmptyTue Sep 27, 2011 1:35 am

shazam! wrote:
Outside of two or three moments, I hated Ultimates.
Back to top Go down
GoZ
The Main Man
The Main Man
GoZ

PostSubject: Re: Artist/Writer Must-Reads   Artist/Writer Must-Reads EmptyTue Sep 27, 2011 1:47 am

Warren Ellis wrote HELLSTORM for a brief time.....While not his best work, there was a character named JAKITA, that used mystical SNOW powers....."JAKITA"....."SNOW".....PLANETARY ANYONE?
Back to top Go down
DanElectro
The Man of Tomorrow
The Man of Tomorrow
DanElectro

Male Age : 85

PostSubject: Re: Artist/Writer Must-Reads   Artist/Writer Must-Reads EmptyTue Sep 27, 2011 4:09 am

GoZ wrote:
Warren Ellis wrote HELLSTORM for a brief time.....While not his best work, there was a character named JAKITA, that used mystical SNOW powers....."JAKITA"....."SNOW".....PLANETARY ANYONE?

Didn't read his Hellstorm but I'd definitely put Planetary at the top of what I've read from Ellis along with Transmetropolitan!

Joel,
I like your list for JRJr for his contemporary work, but I'd put his really early pencils(bronze age- e.g. ASM, etc.) at the top of the list.

Back to top Go down
Thomas
Global
Global
Thomas

Male Age : 45

PostSubject: Re: Artist/Writer Must-Reads   Artist/Writer Must-Reads EmptyTue Sep 27, 2011 9:33 am

DanElectro wrote:
GoZ wrote:

Didn't read his Hellstorm but I'd definitely put Planetary at the top of what I've read from Ellis along with Transmetropolitan!

Joel,
I like your list for JRJr for his contemporary work, but I'd put his really early pencils(bronze age- e.g. ASM, etc.) at the top of the list.

Yeah I just read Planetary last year and after reading I wondered what took me so long. It was awesome and I really hope they integrate the characters into the main DC universe but only if they don't fuck it up like most of the reboot.
Back to top Go down
markrocks
The Alpha
The Alpha
markrocks

PostSubject: Re: Artist/Writer Must-Reads   Artist/Writer Must-Reads EmptyThu Sep 29, 2011 9:25 pm

Marc Silvistri-

his X-men run it included the Fall of the Mutants , Inferno, and ended with disollution and rebirth.

Jr Jr. -
the Daredevil run.
peterparker Spiderman run.

Bindes & finch
new avengers - Break out

Morrison & Daniel
batman RIP

Morrison & porter
JLA run
Back to top Go down
Thomas
Global
Global
Thomas

Male Age : 45

PostSubject: Re: Artist/Writer Must-Reads   Artist/Writer Must-Reads EmptyFri Sep 30, 2011 9:09 am

markrocks wrote:

Marc Silvistri-

his X-men run it included the Fall of the Mutants , Inferno, and ended with disollution and rebirth.

Yeah I started reading X-men with the Fall of Mutants. The way Silvestri drew Colossus was so awesome I was instantly hooked.
Back to top Go down
NoLuv4Hoes
The Champ
The Champ
NoLuv4Hoes

Male Age : 38

PostSubject: Re: Artist/Writer Must-Reads   Artist/Writer Must-Reads EmptyFri Sep 30, 2011 10:41 pm

CaptainJoel wrote:
shazam! wrote:

srsly??? what about Ultimates 2? minus all the delays and shit Ultimates 2 is probably the best thing to come outta the Ultimate Universe aside from Spidey. Actually fuck that Ultimates 2 was just the shit flat out
Back to top Go down
howie024m
Local
Local
howie024m

Male Age : 37

PostSubject: Re: Artist/Writer Must-Reads   Artist/Writer Must-Reads EmptySat Oct 01, 2011 12:34 am

NoLuv4Hoes wrote:
CaptainJoel wrote:
shazam! wrote:

srsly??? what about Ultimates 2? minus all the delays and shit Ultimates 2 is probably the best thing to come outta the Ultimate Universe aside from Spidey. Actually fuck that Ultimates 2 was just the shit flat out

The Ultimates got me back into comics. I hadn't really read a comic since I was a little kid. I wouldn't be here right now if I hadn't read that book. Ultimates 2 was just as awesome. I read 'em back to back. Then I read Y:The Last Man and The Dark Knight Returns and my mind was blown. I read The Watchmen after that, Sandman, and Idgaf I'm counting it...Akira I had no idea comics could be that fucking good and I've been hooked since. I jumped into current Marvel with Secret Wars and The Ultimate universe with Ultimate Fantastic Four and Ultimate X-Men.

Back to top Go down
CaptainJoel
Fight for the Lost
Fight for the Lost
CaptainJoel

PostSubject: Re: Artist/Writer Must-Reads   Artist/Writer Must-Reads EmptySat Oct 01, 2011 6:18 am

NoLuv4Hoes wrote:
CaptainJoel wrote:
shazam! wrote:

Ultimates 2 was better but I still think that Ultimate X-men is the best Ultimate thing with Ultimate Spider-Man as a close second.

I'd probably like Ultimates more if it wasn't completely tainted as a whole by the absolutely terrible shit that Millar did to it with Ultimates 3 and 4.
Back to top Go down
True Believer
the numero dos
the numero dos
True Believer

PostSubject: Re: Artist/Writer Must-Reads   Artist/Writer Must-Reads EmptySat Oct 01, 2011 3:41 pm

CaptainJoel wrote:
NoLuv4Hoes wrote:
CaptainJoel wrote:
shazam! wrote:

Ultimates 2 was better but I still think that Ultimate X-men is the best Ultimate thing with Ultimate Spider-Man as a close second.

I'd probably like Ultimates more if it wasn't completely tainted as a whole by the absolutely terrible shit that Millar did to it with Ultimates 3 and 4.

What about all the shitty shit they did with Ultimate X-Men? The Cable arc? Everything after the Cable arc? Everything relating to Ultimatum?

Oh, and I think you mean Loeb for Ultimates 3 and 4.
Back to top Go down
CaptainJoel
Fight for the Lost
Fight for the Lost
CaptainJoel

PostSubject: Re: Artist/Writer Must-Reads   Artist/Writer Must-Reads EmptySun Oct 02, 2011 8:12 am

True Believer wrote:
CaptainJoel wrote:
NoLuv4Hoes wrote:
CaptainJoel wrote:
shazam! wrote:

What about all the shitty shit they did with Ultimate X-Men? The Cable arc? Everything after the Cable arc? Everything relating to Ultimatum?

I liked the Ultimate Cable arc! I think I only disliked the Ultimatum X-Men and Magician arcs. Everything else I enjoyed more than the Ultimates.

Man, that shows how much I hated Loeb's Ultimates because I completely blocked that shit out and was actually meaning Ultimate Comics Avengers 1, 2, and 3 when I said Ultimates 3 and 4.
Back to top Go down
markrocks
The Alpha
The Alpha
markrocks

PostSubject: Re: Artist/Writer Must-Reads   Artist/Writer Must-Reads EmptySun Oct 02, 2011 6:18 pm

CaptainJoel wrote:
True Believer wrote:
CaptainJoel wrote:
NoLuv4Hoes wrote:
CaptainJoel wrote:
shazam! wrote:

I liked the Ultimate Cable arc! I think I only disliked the Ultimatum X-Men and Magician arcs. Everything else I enjoyed more than the Ultimates.

Man, that shows how much I hated Loeb's Ultimates because I completely blocked that shit out and was actually meaning Ultimate Comics Avengers 1, 2, and 3 when I said Ultimates 3 and 4.

not all ultimate x-men was bad. Block buster and return of the king are great. the loeb stuff i can live with out. not that i dont like him, i just think that he went to far.

Back to top Go down
GoZ
The Main Man
The Main Man
GoZ

PostSubject: Re: Artist/Writer Must-Reads   Artist/Writer Must-Reads EmptySun Oct 02, 2011 10:50 pm

Jeph Loeb and Tim Sale-All the Batman stuff....Their Marvel stuff was good too....Spider-Man:Blue, Hulk:Grey, etc....

Azzarello and Risso on pretty much anything they do.....
Back to top Go down
shazam!
The Man of Tomorrow
The Man of Tomorrow
shazam!

PostSubject: Re: Artist/Writer Must-Reads   Artist/Writer Must-Reads EmptySun Oct 09, 2011 5:44 am

J. M. DeMatteis
Kraven's Last Hunt
Captain America
Justice League International

Grant Morrison
Animal Man
All-Star Superman
Sea Guy
Doom Patrol

Garth Ennis
Preacher
Fury MAX
Punisher MAX (especially the slavers arc, which is possibly the best punisher story ever imo)

Brian Micheal Bendis
Ultimate Spider-Man
Daredevil

Geoff Johns
The Sinestro Corps War
The Flash (especially #182 from his Wally run which focuses on Cold)
JSA
Back to top Go down
shazam!
The Man of Tomorrow
The Man of Tomorrow
shazam!

PostSubject: Re: Artist/Writer Must-Reads   Artist/Writer Must-Reads EmptyWed Nov 02, 2011 3:35 am

I just noticed how many Mark Waid comics I own. He's actually probably one of my favorite writers in comics.

Mark Waid
Kingdom Come
Birthright
Return of Barry Allen
Tower of Babel
Back to top Go down
GoZ
The Main Man
The Main Man
GoZ

PostSubject: Re: Artist/Writer Must-Reads   Artist/Writer Must-Reads EmptyWed Nov 02, 2011 11:14 pm

shazam! wrote:
I just noticed how many Mark Waid comics I own. He's actually probably one of my favorite writers in comics.

Mark Waid
Kingdom Come
Birthright
Return of Barry Allen
Tower of Babel

His run on Captain America with Ron Garney was AWESOME!
Back to top Go down
shazam!
The Man of Tomorrow
The Man of Tomorrow
shazam!

PostSubject: Re: Artist/Writer Must-Reads   Artist/Writer Must-Reads EmptyThu Nov 03, 2011 12:59 am

GoZ wrote:
shazam! wrote:

Mark Waid
Kingdom Come
Birthright
Return of Barry Allen
Tower of Babel

His run on Captain America with Ron Garney was AWESOME!

high five high five

I should have put Operation Rebirth on there.

Back to top Go down
GoZ
The Main Man
The Main Man
GoZ

PostSubject: Re: Artist/Writer Must-Reads   Artist/Writer Must-Reads EmptyThu Nov 03, 2011 1:26 am

BATMAN: SON OF THE DEMON by Mike Barr and Jerry Bingham......The story and artwork are sublime....
Back to top Go down
PeteWisdom
The Chief of Sarcasm
The Chief of Sarcasm
PeteWisdom

Male Age : 39

PostSubject: Re: Artist/Writer Must-Reads   Artist/Writer Must-Reads EmptyWed Nov 09, 2011 8:08 pm

Rememder and Opena

Uncanny X-Force. Hands down the best storyarc since Brubaker and Epting pulled off the Winter Soldier.
Back to top Go down
GoZ
The Main Man
The Main Man
GoZ

PostSubject: Re: Artist/Writer Must-Reads   Artist/Writer Must-Reads EmptySun Nov 20, 2011 1:32 am

Anything by Gaiman and Vess.....
Back to top Go down
xyamuchax
Youngling
Youngling
xyamuchax

Male Age : 43

PostSubject: Re: Artist/Writer Must-Reads   Artist/Writer Must-Reads EmptyTue Nov 29, 2011 1:31 am

Anything with Red Hulk! Red Hulk smashes the competition!
Back to top Go down
GoZ
The Main Man
The Main Man
GoZ

PostSubject: Re: Artist/Writer Must-Reads   Artist/Writer Must-Reads EmptyTue Nov 29, 2011 2:31 am

xyamuchax wrote:
Anything with Red Hulk! Red Hulk smashes the competition!

I hope you get AIDS...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Artist/Writer Must-Reads   Artist/Writer Must-Reads Empty

Back to top Go down

Artist/Writer Must-Reads
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next