the Anti-Registration Act
Why hello there!
Sign in or up for all the exciting stuff Wink
Why hello there!
Sign in or up for all the exciting stuff Wink
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Azrael Returns?

Go down 
+11
TJ
GoZ
Hedinnweis
Thomas
Martin
Sink
DanElectro
CaptainJoel
REEF aka Luke Cage
Shaun
True Believer
15 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Will Azrael return?
Fuck no!
Azrael Returns? - Page 3 Thvotebarleft14%Azrael Returns? - Page 3 Thvotebarright
 14% [ 2 ]
Fuck yeah!
Azrael Returns? - Page 3 Thvotebarleft86%Azrael Returns? - Page 3 Thvotebarright
 86% [ 12 ]
Who's Azrael?
Azrael Returns? - Page 3 Thvotebarleft0%Azrael Returns? - Page 3 Thvotebarright
 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 14

AuthorMessage
True Believer
the numero dos
the numero dos
True Believer

Male Age : 34

Azrael Returns? - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Azrael Returns?   Azrael Returns? - Page 3 EmptyThu Jul 31, 2008 8:00 am

DanElectro wrote:
Shadowrenderer wrote:
I know what you're saying dan, but it's well established that Superman is Methodist. You can't just ignore that or change it because most ppl aren't that. It's part of his story.

You need to read what I wrote above...if you have nothing better to do.

And, no, it's not established fact. It's popularly believed is all.

I'm pretty sure it's canonical fact.

Although . . .

Azrael Returns? - Page 3 Superman_throws_cross
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Azrael Returns?   Azrael Returns? - Page 3 EmptyThu Jul 31, 2008 4:52 pm

Shadowrenderer wrote:
Making a character religiously abiguous just makes it harder for the writers to "get him/her right".

It's part of who the character is, like Daredevil is Catholic. That's well established. so any writer knows his moral background. Know what I mean?

Leaving out what they fundamentally believe just leads to the character changeing too much between writers.

I never heard of Superman being a Methodist, I don't disagree, I just never thought of it. I always supposed he was christian, though. Although his creators were Jewish, they did not and would not impose a religion on their creation for fear of alienation form christian readers. His up brining in the Midwest although could have been any religion was most likely christian. As Clark Kent he was married in a christian church, but as Superman, I would have thought he would have not commented on his belief.

I don't mind a character having religion if it is a basis for establishing their motives. Matt Murdock being Catholic enforces the idea of his dual identity as a "devil' complete with horns. Ben Grimm is Jewish, but it doesn't seem to add or detract from his character unless you want to draw similarities between his appearance and that of a Golem. But for the most part, a writers use it badly and and love to pick on Catholics.

Although characters like Thor, Odin, Zeus could be considered religion-based, they are more like characters of myth than religion sine they probably have not been actively worshipped or beleived in in more than 2000 years.

How does a charcter like Hawkman or seems to be a representative of reincarnation and egyptian dieties and Wonder Woman who has a basis in Greek mythologies square with christians? Aren't they an affront to those beliefs?
Back to top Go down
Thomas
Global
Global
Thomas

Male Age : 45

PostSubject: Re: Azrael Returns?   Azrael Returns? - Page 3 EmptyThu Jul 31, 2008 5:26 pm

Jim! wrote:
Although characters like Thor, Odin, Zeus could be considered religion-based, they are more like characters of myth than religion sine they probably have not been actively worshipped or beleived in in more than 2000 years.

Zeus maybe hasn't been worshipped for a 2000 years. Thor and Odin were still worshipped until the 12th century and there were even a branch of worshippers left around in the 18th century.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Azrael Returns?   Azrael Returns? - Page 3 EmptyThu Jul 31, 2008 5:39 pm

Thomas wrote:
Jim! wrote:

Zeus maybe hasn't been worshipped for a 2000 years. Thor and Odin were still worshipped until the 12th century and there were even a branch of worshippers left around in the 18th century.
I wonder what does a church service at the Church of Zeus looks like?
Back to top Go down
Thomas
Global
Global
Thomas

PostSubject: Re: Azrael Returns?   Azrael Returns? - Page 3 EmptyThu Jul 31, 2008 5:56 pm

Jim! wrote:
Thomas wrote:
Jim! wrote:

I wonder what does a church service at the Church of Zeus looks like?

An altar, sacrifices of animals and other food.
Back to top Go down
Shadowrenderer
Local
Local
Shadowrenderer

PostSubject: Re: Azrael Returns?   Azrael Returns? - Page 3 EmptyThu Jul 31, 2008 7:55 pm

Jim! wrote:
Shadowrenderer wrote:
Making a character religiously abiguous just makes it harder for the writers to "get him/her right".

It's part of who the character is, like Daredevil is Catholic. That's well established. so any writer knows his moral background. Know what I mean?

Leaving out what they fundamentally believe just leads to the character changeing too much between writers.

I never heard of Superman being a Methodist, I don't disagree, I just never thought of it. I always supposed he was christian, though. Although his creators were Jewish, they did not and would not impose a religion on their creation for fear of alienation form christian readers. His up brining in the Midwest although could have been any religion was most likely christian. As Clark Kent he was married in a christian church, but as Superman, I would have thought he would have not commented on his belief.

I don't mind a character having religion if it is a basis for establishing their motives. Matt Murdock being Catholic enforces the idea of his dual identity as a "devil' complete with horns. Ben Grimm is Jewish, but it doesn't seem to add or detract from his character unless you want to draw similarities between his appearance and that of a Golem. But for the most part, a writers use it badly and and love to pick on Catholics.

How does a charcter like Hawkman or seems to be a representative of reincarnation and egyptian dieties and Wonder Woman who has a basis in Greek mythologies square with christians? Aren't they an affront to those beliefs?

As a Christian I see Thor & all the other similar characters just like you just said. Myth/Legend.

I pretty much agree with what you've said here.
Back to top Go down
CaptainJoel
Fight for the Lost
Fight for the Lost
CaptainJoel

PostSubject: Re: Azrael Returns?   Azrael Returns? - Page 3 EmptyFri Aug 01, 2008 12:56 am

Why do we need to care about religion and comics?
Back to top Go down
Shadowrenderer
Local
Local
Shadowrenderer

PostSubject: Re: Azrael Returns?   Azrael Returns? - Page 3 EmptyFri Aug 01, 2008 1:12 am

CaptainJoel wrote:

Did you not read anything ppl have said?
Back to top Go down
True Believer
the numero dos
the numero dos
True Believer

PostSubject: Re: Azrael Returns?   Azrael Returns? - Page 3 EmptyFri Aug 01, 2008 1:25 am

CaptainJoel wrote:

Wait religion and comics or religion in comics?

Because you know this whole forum (at one point was) ABOUT comics?
Back to top Go down
Jerk
Rogue
Rogue
Jerk

Male Age : 31

PostSubject: Re: Azrael Returns?   Azrael Returns? - Page 3 EmptyFri Aug 01, 2008 1:39 am

Don't know if anyone has mentioned this, but at a Comic-con panel they mentioned Azrael making an appearance soon. I think the question was if John Paul Valley would be replacing Batman, and they confirmed that he would be coming back.
Back to top Go down
CaptainJoel
Fight for the Lost
Fight for the Lost
CaptainJoel

PostSubject: Re: Azrael Returns?   Azrael Returns? - Page 3 EmptyFri Aug 01, 2008 7:27 pm

True Believer wrote:
CaptainJoel wrote:

Religion and all the various interactions it has with comics.

I mean, about how religion is portrayed in comics...

It's all just an alternate universe.

Things can be portrayed in a million different ways because in comics there are millions of different truths.
Back to top Go down
True Believer
the numero dos
the numero dos
True Believer

PostSubject: Re: Azrael Returns?   Azrael Returns? - Page 3 EmptyFri Aug 01, 2008 9:02 pm

CaptainJoel wrote:
True Believer wrote:
CaptainJoel wrote:

Things can be portrayed in a million different ways because in comics there are millions of different truths.

True dat. But it's still, to a certain extent, a reflection of our own reality, right?
Back to top Go down
Shadowrenderer
Local
Local
Shadowrenderer

PostSubject: Re: Azrael Returns?   Azrael Returns? - Page 3 EmptyFri Aug 01, 2008 9:08 pm

True Believer wrote:
CaptainJoel wrote:
True Believer wrote:
CaptainJoel wrote:

True dat. But it's still, to a certain extent, a reflection of our own reality, right?

Yes it is. In theory, anyway.
Back to top Go down
CaptainJoel
Fight for the Lost
Fight for the Lost
CaptainJoel

PostSubject: Re: Azrael Returns?   Azrael Returns? - Page 3 EmptyFri Aug 01, 2008 11:51 pm

True Believer wrote:
CaptainJoel wrote:
True Believer wrote:
CaptainJoel wrote:

I suppose...

But still, I don't think we should really care much about most character's religions.

Except for Moon Knight.
Back to top Go down
Shadowrenderer
Local
Local
Shadowrenderer

PostSubject: Re: Azrael Returns?   Azrael Returns? - Page 3 EmptyFri Aug 01, 2008 11:54 pm

CaptainJoel wrote:
True Believer wrote:
CaptainJoel wrote:
True Believer wrote:
CaptainJoel wrote:

I suppose...

But still, I don't think we should really care much about most character's religions.

Except for Moon Knight.

& Azrael? & the Spectre? & a whole buch of others who's beliefs shape their world view.

That's the point.
Back to top Go down
LifesTruesin
Rogue
Rogue
LifesTruesin

Male Age : 32

PostSubject: Re: Azrael Returns?   Azrael Returns? - Page 3 EmptySun Aug 03, 2008 12:12 am

Shadowrenderer wrote:
CaptainJoel wrote:
True Believer wrote:
CaptainJoel wrote:
True Believer wrote:
CaptainJoel wrote:

I suppose...

Except for Moon Knight.

& Azrael? & the Spectre? & a whole buch of others who's beliefs shape their world view.

That's the point.

I have to say, I don't really think religion shapes azraels views, atleast not anymore. Yes he was raised as the "Insane alterboy" as my friend says, but the only thing that has somthing to do with religion with him now is the system, BUT...he has over come the power of the system's control on his mind multiple times, so religion can be taken out.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Azrael Returns?   Azrael Returns? - Page 3 EmptyMon Aug 04, 2008 2:14 am

LifesTruesin wrote:
Shadowrenderer wrote:
CaptainJoel wrote:
True Believer wrote:
CaptainJoel wrote:
True Believer wrote:
CaptainJoel wrote:

I suppose...

Except for Moon Knight.

That's the point.

I have to say, I don't really think religion shapes azraels views, atleast not anymore. Yes he was raised as the "Insane alterboy" as my friend says, but the only thing that has somthing to do with religion with him now is the system, BUT...he has over come the power of the system's control on his mind multiple times, so religion can be taken out.

I guess that remains to be seen. His whole identity and powers came from the working as an agent for the Order of St. Dumas. I don't know if he has to tap in to the "System" in order to call up his super abilities. But the Order is a religious order. Even if he isn't brainwashed, he is still a believer of the religion, I don't think it can be discounted. I don't why people found this character fascinating and are eagerly awaiting his return.
Back to top Go down
REEF aka Luke Cage
The Man of Tomorrow
The Man of Tomorrow
REEF aka Luke Cage

Male Age : 37

PostSubject: Re: Azrael Returns?   Azrael Returns? - Page 3 EmptyMon Aug 04, 2008 11:27 am

True Believer wrote:
Are you kidding me? Those first two costumes sucked. The third one is pretty lame but it's the only one that doesn't make me want to punch a rabbi.

i think the second one is the worst, first one is the best

but can we keep the rabbi out of this?...he's just an innocent pawn
Back to top Go down
True Believer
the numero dos
the numero dos
True Believer

PostSubject: Re: Azrael Returns?   Azrael Returns? - Page 3 EmptyMon Aug 04, 2008 11:29 am

REEF aka Luke Cage wrote:
True Believer wrote:
Are you kidding me? Those first two costumes sucked. The third one is pretty lame but it's the only one that doesn't make me want to punch a rabbi.

You're right.

I'm gonna kick a priest.
Back to top Go down
REEF aka Luke Cage
The Man of Tomorrow
The Man of Tomorrow
REEF aka Luke Cage

PostSubject: Re: Azrael Returns?   Azrael Returns? - Page 3 EmptyMon Aug 04, 2008 11:42 am

True Believer wrote:
True Believer wrote:

You're right.

I'm gonna kick a priest.

AHAHAHAHAHAHA....

why the hell are there are no vidcaps of priests geting kicked on Photobucket?!?!

but fear not, i am drafting a complaint letter

it will be done shortly
Back to top Go down
REEF aka Luke Cage
The Man of Tomorrow
The Man of Tomorrow
REEF aka Luke Cage

PostSubject: Re: Azrael Returns?   Azrael Returns? - Page 3 EmptyMon Aug 04, 2008 11:51 am

True Believer wrote:
True Believer wrote:

You're right.

I'm gonna kick a priest.

Azrael Returns? - Page 3 Motivator1095026
Back to top Go down
CaptainJoel
Fight for the Lost
Fight for the Lost
CaptainJoel

PostSubject: Re: Azrael Returns?   Azrael Returns? - Page 3 EmptyWed Jan 04, 2012 5:52 pm

True Believer wrote:
True Believer wrote:

You're right.

I'm gonna kick a priest.

AHAHAHAHAHAHA....

why the hell are there are no vidcaps of priests geting kicked on Photobucket?!?!

but fear not, i am drafting a complaint letter

it will be done shortly
This is still my favorite Reef post. I still haven't seen any priest kick vids and it's been like, forever. GET ON IT, DAWG.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Azrael Returns?   Azrael Returns? - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Azrael Returns?
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3