the Anti-Registration Act
Why hello there!
Sign in or up for all the exciting stuff Wink
Why hello there!
Sign in or up for all the exciting stuff Wink
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Azrael Returns?

Go down 
+11
TJ
GoZ
Hedinnweis
Thomas
Martin
Sink
DanElectro
CaptainJoel
REEF aka Luke Cage
Shaun
True Believer
15 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Will Azrael return?
Fuck no!
Azrael Returns? - Page 2 Thvotebarleft14%Azrael Returns? - Page 2 Thvotebarright
 14% [ 2 ]
Fuck yeah!
Azrael Returns? - Page 2 Thvotebarleft86%Azrael Returns? - Page 2 Thvotebarright
 86% [ 12 ]
Who's Azrael?
Azrael Returns? - Page 2 Thvotebarleft0%Azrael Returns? - Page 2 Thvotebarright
 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 14

AuthorMessage
Shadowrenderer
Local
Local
Shadowrenderer

Male Age : 45

Azrael Returns? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Azrael Returns?   Azrael Returns? - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 31, 2008 2:39 am

TJ wrote:
Shadowrenderer wrote:
TJ wrote:
I acutally like the first design but....eh whatever ya know?

I like the colour scheme of the first. But I would make some changes.

I also like the character as a religious guy. He's clearly got issues & showing a weird cult that's sudo-catholic is interesting if a little worrying.

as for Zaurial I didn't like him. As a Christian I didn't feel he truelly represented what Christians believe. Obviulsy any time you write a character who believes soething dif than yourself there will be conflict, but Morrison never captured the right feel for him imo.

Any character that claims to represent or the writer claims they represent a certain view point really needs to know what they're talking about. Most religious characters, I find, are not good representations of said belief.

Like Helena Bertenelli? But than again.......she's always been a conflicted character with her beliefs.

Well I haven't read all that many Huntress stories.

It just seems to me when a writer (and this goes for movies & tv) want's a religious character they almost always chose a catholic & pretty much always a conflicted Catholic. I understand that adds drama, but I would like to see some characters who actually know for sure what they believe.

There have been a few over time, but not many.
Back to top Go down
PeteWisdom
The Chief of Sarcasm
The Chief of Sarcasm
PeteWisdom

Male Age : 38

PostSubject: Re: Azrael Returns?   Azrael Returns? - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 31, 2008 3:45 am

Jim! wrote:
DanElectro wrote:
Jim! wrote:
Angels, or devils form Hell always rub me the wrong way... that didn't come out right. I think religion-based mythological creatures should all be verbotten.

Verboten in comic books completely? Why?

Even as I wrote this, I'm thinking, well I like Hellboy and the Spectre, but I hate Ghost Rider. As soon as you have a Zuriel in the flesh, so to speak, then his power can be quantified. And once its measurable then it can compared to others and you get the quesiton is he stronger than Superman, or Superman Prime? And if he isn't then for me the next logical question is superman-prime stronger than God, how about Galactus or Eternity or Death and that for me lessens God. Which is funny because I'm an athiest, but I don't want my heroes literally wrestling with the Devil. They exist in their own genre and they should stay there.

Yeah but I mean all of comics include dieties from many religions...

does that mean we should do away with Thor, Loki, Herc, Ares, Asgard and Olympus in general, Lucifer from Vertigo, and many other characters taken from religions from all over the world?

I mean I get the general idea of what your'e saying.. but like DanE said, the One above All is like the God of the Marvel U, and dwarfs everyone elses power. Well maybe not Jack Kirby God.
Back to top Go down
DanElectro
The Man of Tomorrow
The Man of Tomorrow
DanElectro

Male Age : 85

PostSubject: Re: Azrael Returns?   Azrael Returns? - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 31, 2008 4:27 am

PeteWisdom wrote:
Jim! wrote:
DanElectro wrote:
Jim! wrote:
Angels, or devils form Hell always rub me the wrong way... that didn't come out right. I think religion-based mythological creatures should all be verbotten.

Even as I wrote this, I'm thinking, well I like Hellboy and the Spectre, but I hate Ghost Rider. As soon as you have a Zuriel in the flesh, so to speak, then his power can be quantified. And once its measurable then it can compared to others and you get the quesiton is he stronger than Superman, or Superman Prime? And if he isn't then for me the next logical question is superman-prime stronger than God, how about Galactus or Eternity or Death and that for me lessens God. Which is funny because I'm an athiest, but I don't want my heroes literally wrestling with the Devil. They exist in their own genre and they should stay there.

does that mean we should do away with Thor, Loki, Herc, Ares, Asgard and Olympus in general, Lucifer from Vertigo, and many other characters taken from religions from all over the world?

I mean I get the general idea of what your'e saying.. but like DanE said, the One above All is like the God of the Marvel U, and dwarfs everyone elses power. Well maybe not Jack Kirby God.

Jack Kirby got bumped up from "King" to "G-d?" Nice, I didn't get the memo!
Back to top Go down
PeteWisdom
The Chief of Sarcasm
The Chief of Sarcasm
PeteWisdom

PostSubject: Re: Azrael Returns?   Azrael Returns? - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 31, 2008 5:05 am

DanElectro wrote:
PeteWisdom wrote:
Jim! wrote:
DanElectro wrote:
Jim! wrote:

yeah, it was in an ish of Fantastic 4.

They actually went to Heaven, and God was a man (resembling Kirby) sitting at an art desk.

so yes, he is.

Anyways about Azreal.. I'm sure it will be somewhere in Batman RIP or Batman Rebirth.

how do I feel about this? Eh... we'll just have to see.
Back to top Go down
DanElectro
The Man of Tomorrow
The Man of Tomorrow
DanElectro

PostSubject: Re: Azrael Returns?   Azrael Returns? - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 31, 2008 5:18 am

PeteWisdom wrote:
DanElectro wrote:
PeteWisdom wrote:
Jim! wrote:
DanElectro wrote:
Jim! wrote:

They actually went to Heaven, and God was a man (resembling Kirby) sitting at an art desk.

so yes, he is.

Anyways about Azreal.. I'm sure it will be somewhere in Batman RIP or Batman Rebirth.

Don't change the subject!
Back to top Go down
True Believer
the numero dos
the numero dos
True Believer

Male Age : 34

PostSubject: Re: Azrael Returns?   Azrael Returns? - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 31, 2008 5:47 am

Shadowrenderer wrote:
TJ wrote:
Shadowrenderer wrote:
TJ wrote:

I also like the character as a religious guy. He's clearly got issues & showing a weird cult that's sudo-catholic is interesting if a little worrying.

as for Zaurial I didn't like him. As a Christian I didn't feel he truelly represented what Christians believe. Obviulsy any time you write a character who believes soething dif than yourself there will be conflict, but Morrison never captured the right feel for him imo.

Any character that claims to represent or the writer claims they represent a certain view point really needs to know what they're talking about. Most religious characters, I find, are not good representations of said belief.

Like Helena Bertenelli? But than again.......she's always been a conflicted character with her beliefs.

It just seems to me when a writer (and this goes for movies & tv) want's a religious character they almost always chose a catholic & pretty much always a conflicted Catholic. I understand that adds drama, but I would like to see some characters who actually know for sure what they believe.

Well, yeah, but anytime you write a character whose religion is a central element of the story there's always going to be some conflict. It's the same way with Mr. Terrific whose atheist and (if you've been reading recent issues of JSA) was crying in church about how badly he wants to believe because Gog won't talk to him or something.

Characters who are sure about what they believe don't constantly talk about it and it's not a central issue because they don't make it one. Superman is Methodist and it's rarely ever referenced because he's sure about what he believes. The same with Hank Pym whose widely considered atheist. Fact is writers tend to keep a character's religion out of the story unless it somehow serves the story, and a central part of any story is conflict.
Back to top Go down
Shadowrenderer
Local
Local
Shadowrenderer

PostSubject: Re: Azrael Returns?   Azrael Returns? - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 31, 2008 5:50 am

True Believer wrote:
Shadowrenderer wrote:
TJ wrote:
Shadowrenderer wrote:
TJ wrote:

Well, yeah, but anytime you write a character whose religion is a central element of the story there's always going to be some conflict. It's the same way with Mr. Terrific whose atheist and (if you've been reading recent issues of JSA) was crying in church about how badly he wants to believe because Gog won't talk to him or something.

Characters who are sure about what they believe don't constantly talk about it and it's not a central issue because they don't make it one. Superman is Methodist and it's rarely ever referenced because he's sure about what he believes. The same with Hank Pym whose widely considered atheist. Fact is writers tend to keep a character's religion out of the story unless it somehow serves the story, and a central part of any story is conflict.

Yeah I know.

Just saying that most characters that the writer wants to be "religious" end up being terrible steriotypes or they just get it wrong.
Back to top Go down
True Believer
the numero dos
the numero dos
True Believer

PostSubject: Re: Azrael Returns?   Azrael Returns? - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 31, 2008 5:59 am

Shadowrenderer wrote:
True Believer wrote:
Shadowrenderer wrote:
TJ wrote:
Shadowrenderer wrote:
TJ wrote:

Yeah I know.

Just saying that most characters that the writer wants to be "religious" end up being terrible steriotypes or they just get it wrong.

Eh. Every writer has a different interpretation of every religion. Some people are bound not to like it. Look at Booster Gold, he's supposed to be areligious and is completely selfish and materialistic (or was, anyway).

But, again, there are plenty of characters who are religious and aren't stereotypical or morally ambiguous, but their religion just isn't a central element of the story (i.e.- Superman).
Back to top Go down
DanElectro
The Man of Tomorrow
The Man of Tomorrow
DanElectro

PostSubject: Re: Azrael Returns?   Azrael Returns? - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 31, 2008 6:00 am

True Believer wrote:
Shadowrenderer wrote:
True Believer wrote:
Shadowrenderer wrote:
TJ wrote:
Shadowrenderer wrote:
TJ wrote:

Yeah I know.

Eh. Every writer has a different interpretation of every religion. Some people are bound not to like it. Look at Booster Gold, he's supposed to be areligious and is completely selfish and materialistic (or was, anyway).

But, again, there are plenty of characters who are religious and aren't stereotypical or morally ambiguous, but their religion just isn't a central element of the story (i.e.- Superman).

What religion is Supes again?
Back to top Go down
True Believer
the numero dos
the numero dos
True Believer

PostSubject: Re: Azrael Returns?   Azrael Returns? - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 31, 2008 6:03 am

DanElectro wrote:
True Believer wrote:
Shadowrenderer wrote:
True Believer wrote:
Shadowrenderer wrote:
TJ wrote:
Shadowrenderer wrote:
TJ wrote:

Yeah I know.

Methodist according to this website which seems pretty well sourced.
Back to top Go down
Shadowrenderer
Local
Local
Shadowrenderer

PostSubject: Re: Azrael Returns?   Azrael Returns? - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 31, 2008 6:06 am

DanElectro wrote:
True Believer wrote:
Shadowrenderer wrote:
True Believer wrote:
Shadowrenderer wrote:
TJ wrote:
Shadowrenderer wrote:
TJ wrote:

Yeah I know.

Methodist or something.

Only time I've seen him say anything about god was in Superman/madman. And all he said was he believed in god.

Anyway, I feel that most writers chose to use Catholicism because they think they actually know something about it.

I'm not really explaining myself very well.

There's plenty of times when you can have conflict between characters of dif beliefs without them being unsure of what they believe.

basically I'd like to see more diversity in general. This goes for TV & movies as well.
Back to top Go down
DanElectro
The Man of Tomorrow
The Man of Tomorrow
DanElectro

PostSubject: Re: Azrael Returns?   Azrael Returns? - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 31, 2008 6:06 am

True Believer wrote:
DanElectro wrote:
True Believer wrote:
Shadowrenderer wrote:
True Believer wrote:
Shadowrenderer wrote:
TJ wrote:
Shadowrenderer wrote:
TJ wrote:

Yeah I know.

Because he's an alien from a distant planet or because he was created by a Jewish artist and a Jewish writer?
Back to top Go down
True Believer
the numero dos
the numero dos
True Believer

PostSubject: Re: Azrael Returns?   Azrael Returns? - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 31, 2008 6:15 am

DanElectro wrote:
True Believer wrote:
DanElectro wrote:
True Believer wrote:
Shadowrenderer wrote:
True Believer wrote:
Shadowrenderer wrote:
TJ wrote:
Shadowrenderer wrote:
TJ wrote:

Yeah I know.

Because he's an alien from a distant planet or because he was created by a Jewish artist and a Jewish writer?

I don't understand? According to the website and the dozens of panels contained therein he is Christian and Methodist specifically. This is considered canon, as it was established in Action Comics #850.
Back to top Go down
PeteWisdom
The Chief of Sarcasm
The Chief of Sarcasm
PeteWisdom

PostSubject: Re: Azrael Returns?   Azrael Returns? - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 31, 2008 6:16 am

DanElectro wrote:
PeteWisdom wrote:
DanElectro wrote:
PeteWisdom wrote:
Jim! wrote:
DanElectro wrote:
Jim! wrote:

so yes, he is.

Don't change the subject!

I didn't...

the previous subject ended because there weas nothing more to contribute to it.
Back to top Go down
DanElectro
The Man of Tomorrow
The Man of Tomorrow
DanElectro

PostSubject: Re: Azrael Returns?   Azrael Returns? - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 31, 2008 6:23 am

True Believer wrote:
DanElectro wrote:
True Believer wrote:
DanElectro wrote:
True Believer wrote:
Shadowrenderer wrote:
True Believer wrote:
Shadowrenderer wrote:
TJ wrote:
Shadowrenderer wrote:
TJ wrote:

Yeah I know.

I don't understand? According to the website and the dozens of panels contained therein he is Christian and Methodist specifically. This is considered canon, as it was established in Action Comics #850.

I don't know...I'm pretty sure I saw him order Kosher take-out in an iss a while back.
Back to top Go down
True Believer
the numero dos
the numero dos
True Believer

PostSubject: Re: Azrael Returns?   Azrael Returns? - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 31, 2008 6:29 am

DanElectro wrote:
True Believer wrote:
DanElectro wrote:
True Believer wrote:
DanElectro wrote:
True Believer wrote:
Shadowrenderer wrote:
True Believer wrote:
Shadowrenderer wrote:
TJ wrote:
Shadowrenderer wrote:
TJ wrote:

Yeah I know.

I don't know...I'm pretty sure I saw him order Kosher take-out in an iss a while back.

So you think he's Jewish? Whether or not he's Methodist is certainly debatable, but everything I've seen suggests he's Christian and was raised Christian.

I don't think the fact that Shuster and Seigel were Jewish mean they made their character Jewish. They made him the poster boy for Midwestern values. And even I ate Kosher before I went vegetarian.
Back to top Go down
Shadowrenderer
Local
Local
Shadowrenderer

PostSubject: Re: Azrael Returns?   Azrael Returns? - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 31, 2008 6:32 am

True Believer wrote:
DanElectro wrote:
True Believer wrote:
DanElectro wrote:
True Believer wrote:
DanElectro wrote:
True Believer wrote:
Shadowrenderer wrote:
True Believer wrote:
Shadowrenderer wrote:
TJ wrote:
Shadowrenderer wrote:
TJ wrote:

Yeah I know.

So you think he's Jewish? Whether or not he's Methodist is certainly debatable, but everything I've seen suggests he's Christian and was raised Christian.

I don't think the fact that Shuster and Seigel were Jewish mean they made their character Jewish. They made him the poster boy for Midwestern values. And even I ate Kosher before I went vegetarian.

I agree. There's no indication he's Jewish but there's a really good chance he went to a Christian church when in Smallville.

That doesn't make him Christian but it does explain his morality.
Back to top Go down
DanElectro
The Man of Tomorrow
The Man of Tomorrow
DanElectro

PostSubject: Re: Azrael Returns?   Azrael Returns? - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 31, 2008 6:35 am

True Believer wrote:
DanElectro wrote:
True Believer wrote:
DanElectro wrote:
True Believer wrote:
DanElectro wrote:
True Believer wrote:
Shadowrenderer wrote:
True Believer wrote:
Shadowrenderer wrote:
TJ wrote:
Shadowrenderer wrote:
TJ wrote:

Yeah I know.

I'm saying you're not Jewish...emmmm...yeah anyway.

Superman can and should be anything to anyone. But religion should ...proooooobably stay out of comics at least as far as assigning a specific religious belief to a pop superhero. I'm sure every writer and every editor followed their own agenda when writing Supes.
Back to top Go down
True Believer
the numero dos
the numero dos
True Believer

PostSubject: Re: Azrael Returns?   Azrael Returns? - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 31, 2008 6:38 am

DanElectro wrote:
True Believer wrote:
DanElectro wrote:
True Believer wrote:
DanElectro wrote:
True Believer wrote:
DanElectro wrote:
True Believer wrote:
Shadowrenderer wrote:
True Believer wrote:
Shadowrenderer wrote:
TJ wrote:
Shadowrenderer wrote:
TJ wrote:

Yeah I know.

Superman can and should be anything to anyone. But religion should ...proooooobably stay out of comics at least as far as assigning a specific religious belief to a pop superhero. I'm sure every writer and every editor followed their own agenda when writing Supes.

I think you may be following your own agenda a little bit, there. I'm not saying I disagree about religion staying out of, at least, iconic superhero comics. But there's too much canonical evidence to suggest that Clark's Christian for you to ignore.

And Dan Lynch . . . People who aren't Christian can have morals, too, y'know.
Back to top Go down
Shadowrenderer
Local
Local
Shadowrenderer

PostSubject: Re: Azrael Returns?   Azrael Returns? - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 31, 2008 6:45 am

True Believer wrote:
DanElectro wrote:
True Believer wrote:
DanElectro wrote:
True Believer wrote:
DanElectro wrote:
True Believer wrote:
DanElectro wrote:
True Believer wrote:
Shadowrenderer wrote:
True Believer wrote:
Shadowrenderer wrote:
TJ wrote:
Shadowrenderer wrote:
TJ wrote:

Yeah I know.

I think you may be following your own agenda a little bit, there. I'm not saying I disagree about religion staying out of, at least, iconic superhero comics. But there's too much canonical evidence to suggest that Clark's Christian for you to ignore.

What I mean is his specific moral stand is sorta kinda Christian.

Obviously heaps of ppl have morals of some kind.

As for pop characters being religious, I think they should be how they've been portrayed most of the time. If like Superman they have been portrayed as a specific religion then they should stay that way. But putting a religious belief onto an extablished character is just dangerous.
Back to top Go down
DanElectro
The Man of Tomorrow
The Man of Tomorrow
DanElectro

PostSubject: Re: Azrael Returns?   Azrael Returns? - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 31, 2008 6:49 am

True Believer wrote:
DanElectro wrote:
True Believer wrote:
DanElectro wrote:
True Believer wrote:
DanElectro wrote:
True Believer wrote:
DanElectro wrote:
True Believer wrote:
Shadowrenderer wrote:
True Believer wrote:
Shadowrenderer wrote:
TJ wrote:
Shadowrenderer wrote:
TJ wrote:

Yeah I know.

I actually mistyped a few things above (e.g. joke where I was trying to say that "I'm NOT saying you're not Jewish" ...whatever).

My point is that there will always be people with their own agendas who will try to assign their own system of beliefs on a popular character or person with very little evidence suggesting that character/person has any specific religious affiliation.

I'm also pretty sure that Superman has in impliedly been made out to be a Christian (I've also read about him being Methodist particularly since he has a Midwestern upbringing) as it is and was a more popular religion among the readership (especially during Action Comics heyday when they had millions of regular readers).

But, aside from it being the proper thing to do to keep religion out of comics in these particular circumstances, with respect to Supes, it would also make sense that, since he's an alien, and considering that he is the "people's champion" (meaning EVERYONE), he would not want to select any particular religion for himself at all. But then, I'm just thinking logically.
Back to top Go down
True Believer
the numero dos
the numero dos
True Believer

PostSubject: Re: Azrael Returns?   Azrael Returns? - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 31, 2008 7:00 am

DanElectro wrote:
True Believer wrote:
DanElectro wrote:
True Believer wrote:
DanElectro wrote:
True Believer wrote:
DanElectro wrote:
True Believer wrote:
DanElectro wrote:

I actually mistyped a few things above (e.g. joke where I was trying to say that "I'm NOT saying you're not Jewish" ...whatever).

My point is that there will always be people with their own agendas who will try to assign their own system of beliefs on a popular character or person with very little evidence suggesting that character/person has any specific religious affiliation.

I'm also pretty sure that Superman has in impliedly been made out to be a Christian (I've also read about him being Methodist particularly since he has a Midwestern upbringing) as it is and was a more popular religion among the readership (especially during Action Comics heyday when they had millions of regular readers).

But, aside from it being the proper thing to do to keep religion out of comics in these particular circumstances, with respect to Supes, it would also make sense that, since he's an alien, and considering that he is the "people's champion" (meaning EVERYONE), he would not want to select any particular religion for himself at all. But then, I'm just thinking logically.

I don't think his alien heritage should really factor into it, since he's been on Earth as long as he can remember and and was adopted by parents from Earth.

I agree that Superman shouldn't advertise his religion for fear of alienating people. And he hasn't. I don't think he's going to slap a cross on his chest, rename himself Christianman, and quote scripture to everyone he saves. But religion is a personal thing. I don't think he shouldn't prescribe to any particular religion just because he's the idol of millions and an American icon.

People don't choose their religion based on what makes them most popular (unless you're a politician) but, simply what they believe.
Back to top Go down
Shadowrenderer
Local
Local
Shadowrenderer

PostSubject: Re: Azrael Returns?   Azrael Returns? - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 31, 2008 7:01 am

I know what you're saying dan, but it's well established that Superman is Methodist. You can't just ignore that or change it because most ppl aren't that. It's part of his story.
Back to top Go down
DanElectro
The Man of Tomorrow
The Man of Tomorrow
DanElectro

PostSubject: Re: Azrael Returns?   Azrael Returns? - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 31, 2008 7:15 am

Shadowrenderer wrote:
I know what you're saying dan, but it's well established that Superman is Methodist. You can't just ignore that or change it because most ppl aren't that. It's part of his story.

You need to read what I wrote above...if you have nothing better to do.

And, no, it's not established fact. It's popularly believed is all.
Back to top Go down
Shadowrenderer
Local
Local
Shadowrenderer

PostSubject: Re: Azrael Returns?   Azrael Returns? - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 31, 2008 7:23 am

Making a character religiously abiguous just makes it harder for the writers to "get him/her right".

It's part of who the character is, like Daredevil is Catholic. That's well established. so any writer knows his moral background. Know what I mean?

Leaving out what they fundamentally believe just leads to the character changeing too much between writers.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Azrael Returns?   Azrael Returns? - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Azrael Returns?
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
the Anti-Registration Act :: the Comic Centre :: General-isms-
Jump to: