the Anti-Registration Act
Why hello there!
Sign in or up for all the exciting stuff Wink
Why hello there!
Sign in or up for all the exciting stuff Wink
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Alex Ross

Go down 
+6
Thomas
PeteWisdom
Tim Radd
DanElectro
Shaun
True Believer
10 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
DanElectro
The Man of Tomorrow
The Man of Tomorrow
DanElectro

Male Age : 85

Alex Ross - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alex Ross   Alex Ross - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 10, 2008 7:59 pm

True Believer wrote:
The gun's alright, but it does pussify him to a certain extent. Steve didn't need no stinking gun.

See above.
Back to top Go down
True Believer
the numero dos
the numero dos
True Believer

Male Age : 34

Alex Ross - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alex Ross   Alex Ross - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 10, 2008 8:12 pm

DanElectro wrote:
True Believer wrote:
The gun's alright, but it does pussify him to a certain extent. Steve didn't need no stinking gun.

See above.

Saw it. One cover with him carrying a gun doesn't lend much credence.
Back to top Go down
Shadowrenderer
Local
Local
Shadowrenderer

Male Age : 45

Alex Ross - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alex Ross   Alex Ross - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 10, 2008 8:13 pm

Cap with a gun = wrong.

Alex Ross Wolverine = not quite right. Not bad but still not great.
Back to top Go down
DanElectro
The Man of Tomorrow
The Man of Tomorrow
DanElectro

Alex Ross - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alex Ross   Alex Ross - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 10, 2008 8:13 pm

True Believer wrote:
DanElectro wrote:
True Believer wrote:

See above.

Two. That I've found so far.
Back to top Go down
True Believer
the numero dos
the numero dos
True Believer

Male Age : 34

Alex Ross - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alex Ross   Alex Ross - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 10, 2008 8:15 pm

DanElectro wrote:
True Believer wrote:
DanElectro wrote:
True Believer wrote:

See above.

Now you're just being silly.

But if you insist I'll clarify: Cap didn't need no stinking gun on a regular basis.
Back to top Go down
DanElectro
The Man of Tomorrow
The Man of Tomorrow
DanElectro

Alex Ross - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alex Ross   Alex Ross - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 10, 2008 8:18 pm

BTW, I'm in no way defending the Ross Cap redesign. The added shine gives it too much of an S&M look.

(Disclaimer: The above statement is not an attack against anyone in the S&M community (shining knight, blue knight) and in no way suggests or implies that membership therein should be construed as anything negative.)
Back to top Go down
Shadowrenderer
Local
Local
Shadowrenderer

Alex Ross - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alex Ross   Alex Ross - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 10, 2008 8:44 pm

DanElectro wrote:
BTW, I'm in no way defending the Ross Cap redesign. The added shine gives it too much of an S&M look.

(Disclaimer: The above statement is not an attack against anyone in the S&M community (shining knight, blue knight) and in no way suggests or implies that membership therein should be construed as anything negative.)

hahahahaha

Well said, Dan.
Back to top Go down
GoZ
The Main Man
The Main Man
GoZ

Male Age : 50

Alex Ross - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alex Ross   Alex Ross - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 10, 2008 9:55 pm

True Believer wrote:
DanElectro wrote:
True Believer wrote:
DanElectro wrote:
True Believer wrote:

See above.

But if you insist I'll clarify: Cap didn't need no stinking gun on a regular basis.

From Cap's origin: Rogers is given a uniform modeled after the American flag, a bulletproof shield, a personal side arm, and the codename Captain America....He also picked up an uzi and killed an agent of ULTIMATUM. I can't find a pic of the cover, but it was by Mike Zeck and had Cap shooting the uzi...
Back to top Go down
GoZ
The Main Man
The Main Man
GoZ

Alex Ross - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alex Ross   Alex Ross - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 10, 2008 10:11 pm

GoZ wrote:
True Believer wrote:
DanElectro wrote:
True Believer wrote:
DanElectro wrote:
True Believer wrote:

See above.

From Cap's origin: Rogers is given a uniform modeled after the American flag, a bulletproof shield, a personal side arm, and the codename Captain America....He also picked up an uzi and killed an agent of ULTIMATUM. I can't find a pic of the cover, but it was by Mike Zeck and had Cap shooting the uzi...

Found It.....

Alex Ross - Page 2 Captain_America_321
Back to top Go down
Shadowrenderer
Local
Local
Shadowrenderer

Alex Ross - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alex Ross   Alex Ross - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 10, 2008 10:21 pm

I remember Cap stating he was uncomfortable carrying a gun.

Granted it was during that aweful story were he lost his "powers" & wore the armour Tony designed for him.

but still.
Back to top Go down
Thomas
Global
Global
Thomas

Alex Ross - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alex Ross   Alex Ross - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 10, 2008 10:23 pm

True Believer wrote:
Mr.Wholesome wrote:
TJ wrote:
Ok with all this positive'ness' that is being posted about him, I feel compelled to post something that is a bit negatory, despite how much I disagree with this, wait Captain shouldn't have guns anyway......but still.

Alex Ross - Page 2 Alexrossposter

The only thing that ruins this image is that it is way too shiny. Other than that this is an amazing design and I like cap with a gun.

I think it blows. The shininess is lame, but even without it I don't much enjoy it. He kept the head wings which, when modernizing a Captain America costume, should be the first thing to go. He basically just used the design he made for the Spider-Man movie and put a flag on it. The black doesn't fit and the gloves strike me as kind of fruity and ladylike. Like Black Widow should be wearing them. The gun's alright, but it does pussify him to a certain extent. Steve didn't need no stinking gun.

I don't mind the gun he doesn't use it to often, I loved it when he knee capped those guys.
Back to top Go down
GoZ
The Main Man
The Main Man
GoZ

Alex Ross - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alex Ross   Alex Ross - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 10, 2008 10:33 pm

I honestly don't have a problem with the gun, as long as it's used sparingly, and not as a constant means of ending a fight. I HATED this costume when I first saw it, mainly due to the shiny-ness. I can see how the black helps in night missions, but I still hate the shiny armor look.
Back to top Go down
Shadowrenderer
Local
Local
Shadowrenderer

Alex Ross - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alex Ross   Alex Ross - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 10, 2008 10:51 pm

GoZ wrote:
I honestly don't have a problem with the gun, as long as it's used sparingly, and not as a constant means of ending a fight. I HATED this costume when I first saw it, mainly due to the shiny-ness. I can see how the black helps in night missions, but I still hate the shiny armor look.

I mostly agree.

I guess my issue is that the very first cover shows off the gun so prominently.

Plus the shiny armour look just doesn't work for me.

Or the black. But then it's not Steve, so it probably works for Bucky. Plus your point about the night missions is good, but the shiny? Not helping.
Back to top Go down
PeteWisdom
The Chief of Sarcasm
The Chief of Sarcasm
PeteWisdom

Male Age : 39

Alex Ross - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alex Ross   Alex Ross - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 11, 2008 3:26 am

DanElectro wrote:
PeteWisdom wrote:
True Believer wrote:
PeteWisdom wrote:
Amazing Fantasy #15 Alex Ross'd

anyways this was the one I was talking about...

The filename says John Romita on it too... but thats irrelevant, you can definitely tell its Alex Ross too.

Alex Ross - Page 2 John_romita_and_alex_ross_marvel_00

I'm pretty sure this is Alex Ross painting over Romita art.

At the very least that MJ is.

ya, its been awhile since I've seen it actually. I just remembered it being all Alex Rossy...

forgot about Romitay

That's very interesting looking. The X-Men issue above is really good.

I could never understand what kind of claws wolverine has since artists draw them one of two ways 1) Like blades, i.e. flat and sharp or 2) round like horns or spikes. Quesada likes to add hooks to the ends of his spike like claws. I've just always preferred the blade version.

See in a way I can totally undertand it curving a bit being that its you know... claw-like. I believe thats how it was in his 1st appearance and whatnot. SO I completey understand Ross doing it.

Honestly I don't mind it whatsoever, though I generally prefer blades I guess. Since thats what I'm used to.
Back to top Go down
DanElectro
The Man of Tomorrow
The Man of Tomorrow
DanElectro

Alex Ross - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alex Ross   Alex Ross - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 11, 2008 4:35 am

PeteWisdom wrote:
DanElectro wrote:

That's very interesting looking. The X-Men issue above is really good.

I could never understand what kind of claws wolverine has since artists draw them one of two ways 1) Like blades, i.e. flat and sharp or 2) round like horns or spikes. Quesada likes to add hooks to the ends of his spike like claws. I've just always preferred the blade version.

See in a way I can totally undertand it curving a bit being that its you know... claw-like. I believe thats how it was in his 1st appearance and whatnot. SO I completey understand Ross doing it.

Honestly I don't mind it whatsoever, though I generally prefer blades I guess. Since thats what I'm used to.

I'm not talking about just curving. That would only look natural I would think. What I mean is that some artists like Quesada literally give Wolverine's claws HOOKS at the end. Not just a slight curvature. Plus the claws aren't flat but in fact cylindrical. Take a look:

But here, JQ draws them as flat and blade like with almost no curvature at all!

Again, here they're not flat like knives but rounded like horns (but no hook)

Lienil Yu's giving him semi flat claws...not round and not completely blade like

And these by Michael Turner are the more classic claws, flat blades, slightly curved:

I just don't understand why there isn't some sort of a consensus at Marvel already about something as simple as what his claws look like. All artists have their idiosyncracies and try to be different with costumes and hair, etc. But one would think that getting the claws right and keeping it consistant is essential to getting the character right; not unlike knowing that Wolverine's not blonde and isn't taller than 5'4" or so.
Back to top Go down
Shadowrenderer
Local
Local
Shadowrenderer

Alex Ross - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alex Ross   Alex Ross - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 11, 2008 4:41 am

I think they give artistic licence much like Batmans Bat symbol. There's so many ways of drawing it, DC just lets the artist interpret how they see fit.

I understand tho. There's a whole bunch of artists who draw his claws like cylenders & a whole bunch who draw blades. Then there's the curved ones & so on.
Back to top Go down
DanElectro
The Man of Tomorrow
The Man of Tomorrow
DanElectro

Alex Ross - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alex Ross   Alex Ross - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 11, 2008 4:48 am

Shadowrenderer wrote:
I think they give artistic licence much like Batmans Bat symbol. There's so many ways of drawing it, DC just lets the artist interpret how they see fit.

I understand tho. There's a whole bunch of artists who draw his claws like cylenders & a whole bunch who draw blades. Then there's the curved ones & so on.

I know it's lame, but I just think when you're a kid who actually thinks when he/she reads and tries to rationalize certain concepts, questions like the following come up. What do the claws look like when they slice back into his forearm? If they're these thick horns with an unnatural hook at the end, where does that hook disappear to anatomically.

I guess it goes to show that many comic book artists neither have been trained well in anatomy nor really care about accuracy as long as the wow factor is there.
Back to top Go down
Shadowrenderer
Local
Local
Shadowrenderer

Alex Ross - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alex Ross   Alex Ross - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 11, 2008 4:50 am

DanElectro wrote:
Shadowrenderer wrote:

I know it's lame, but I just think when you're a kid who actually thinks when he/she reads and tries to rationalize certain concepts, questions like the following come up. What do the claws look like when they slice back into his forearm? If they're these thick horns with an unnatural hook at the end, where does that hook disappear to anatomically.

I guess it goes to show that many comic book artists neither have been trained well in anatomy nor really care about accuracy as long as the wow factor is there.

well it should look cool.

But yeah, that hook would really hurt!
Back to top Go down
PeteWisdom
The Chief of Sarcasm
The Chief of Sarcasm
PeteWisdom

Male Age : 39

Alex Ross - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alex Ross   Alex Ross - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 11, 2008 5:23 pm

Shadowrenderer wrote:
DanElectro wrote:
Shadowrenderer wrote:

yeah because flat blades puncturing in and out of your skin all the time doesn't hurt either >_>

Anyways, I don't like the lil hook.

I like the usual Yu or Turneresque type blade.
Back to top Go down
DanElectro
The Man of Tomorrow
The Man of Tomorrow
DanElectro

Alex Ross - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alex Ross   Alex Ross - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 11, 2008 5:37 pm

PeteWisdom wrote:
Shadowrenderer wrote:
DanElectro wrote:
Shadowrenderer wrote:

yeah because flat blades puncturing in and out of your skin all the time doesn't hurt either >_>

I read somewhere that (regardless of the type of claws he's drawn with) Wolverine's claws come out by tearing through his skin every time. The skin repairs itself quickly b/c of his healing factor.
Back to top Go down
Shadowrenderer
Local
Local
Shadowrenderer

Alex Ross - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alex Ross   Alex Ross - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 11, 2008 7:54 pm

DanElectro wrote:
PeteWisdom wrote:
Shadowrenderer wrote:
DanElectro wrote:
Shadowrenderer wrote:

I read somewhere that (regardless of the type of claws he's drawn with) Wolverine's claws come out by tearing through his skin every time. The skin repairs itself quickly b/c of his healing factor.

Yeah, Jubilee asked him about it.

Does it hurt, he replied, every time.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Alex Ross - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alex Ross   Alex Ross - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Alex Ross
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2