the Anti-Registration Act
Why hello there!
Sign in or up for all the exciting stuff Wink
Why hello there!
Sign in or up for all the exciting stuff Wink
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Astonishing X-Men

Go down 
+6
Thomas
Mr.Wholesome
CaptainJoel
DanElectro
True Believer
PeteWisdom
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
PeteWisdom
The Chief of Sarcasm
The Chief of Sarcasm
PeteWisdom

Male Age : 39

Astonishing X-Men Empty
PostSubject: Astonishing X-Men   Astonishing X-Men EmptyThu Jul 03, 2008 4:13 am

Did anyone else pick it up?

I thought it was great, definitely an interesting direction...

Spoiler:

all summed up in a bunch of Warren Ellis type goodness...
Back to top Go down
True Believer
the numero dos
the numero dos
True Believer

Male Age : 34

Astonishing X-Men Empty
PostSubject: Re: Astonishing X-Men   Astonishing X-Men EmptyThu Jul 03, 2008 5:08 am

I'm already loving Ellis' characterization and the relationships between said characters. Let's hope the stories are just as good. I'm also glad to see Storm in an X-Book again, but where's Piotr? And if he's not on the team who's their strong guy?
Back to top Go down
DanElectro
The Man of Tomorrow
The Man of Tomorrow
DanElectro

Male Age : 85

Astonishing X-Men Empty
PostSubject: Re: Astonishing X-Men   Astonishing X-Men EmptyThu Jul 03, 2008 5:17 am

I'm reading this in trades and really enjoying it. The last one (vol. 4) went through issue 24. What issue's it on now? It's good to see Ellis is writing now. I didn't like the last arc at all. Who's the artist?
Back to top Go down
PeteWisdom
The Chief of Sarcasm
The Chief of Sarcasm
PeteWisdom

Astonishing X-Men Empty
PostSubject: Re: Astonishing X-Men   Astonishing X-Men EmptyThu Jul 03, 2008 5:41 am

DanElectro wrote:
I'm reading this in trades and really enjoying it. The last one (vol. 4) went through issue 24. What issue's it on now? It's good to see Ellis is writing now. I didn't like the last arc at all. Who's the artist?

Simon Bianchi.

I don't hate it... I like it better than the Jeph Loeb Wolverine arc... I think I was just really spoiled with Cassaday.

Its on issue #25 right now.
Back to top Go down
CaptainJoel
Fight for the Lost
Fight for the Lost
CaptainJoel

Astonishing X-Men Empty
PostSubject: Re: Astonishing X-Men   Astonishing X-Men EmptyThu Jul 03, 2008 9:01 am

Ellis is on it?

WTF!?!?!?

I NEED IT!!!
Back to top Go down
Mr.Wholesome
Kingbreaker
Kingbreaker
Mr.Wholesome

Male Age : 47

Astonishing X-Men Empty
PostSubject: Re: Astonishing X-Men   Astonishing X-Men EmptyThu Jul 03, 2008 12:04 pm

It was good but I didn't really like the X-Men/cop thing much. They're not detectives. This seemed like it should be an X-book that isn't actually the X-"Men". Couple other things; what happened to Ellis saying he would only write the book if the title was changed a bit? I though he wanted it to be called Astonishing X-Men: Next Stage or Second Stage (might have been step--not stage). He said before that he didn't want to use the same title because he felt that Astonishing X-Men should be associated with Whedon the same way that New X-Men is related to Morrison. hmmmm?

Armor: does anybody else think Ellis is writing her like 1980s Kitty Pride? That's cool. I actually do like it but I thought that it was funny that Frost was telling her that she needs to be her own person after she was already acting like Kitty and then she gets a new costume that is reminiscent of Kitty Pride's 1990's Excalibur uniform.

Wolverine: Did anybody else notice that the big X on his uniform was missing on the last page? I thought that was kind of funny because of how much time Bitchy (or something like that) is said to put into his work (he must spend a lot of time on it seeing as it's all painted and highly detailed).
Back to top Go down
Thomas
Global
Global
Thomas

Male Age : 45

Astonishing X-Men Empty
PostSubject: Re: Astonishing X-Men   Astonishing X-Men EmptyThu Jul 03, 2008 12:58 pm

I don't like that they're in San Francisco, makes them seem like the Champions. Speaking of which they should bring back a new Champions team with Hercules and Amadeus Cho on it, that would be cool.

Also the helping the police and basically doing detective work, seems too much like X-factor, which does it better than this. The should have just moved X-factor to San Francisco.

What was up with the street clothes? Who wears shit like that? They looked like the villiage people. They would have blended in better in their costumes.

I don't like Storm being back yet. I liked the thought of her not being on the X books for a while, giving some other character some face time. Maybe in a couple years it would be ok for her to join back up, but it feels too soon right now. Eventually, some one will come along who doesn't like that she's married to Black Panther and will have them get divorced. Except for Reed and Sue and Clark and Lois, writers don't want couples to stay together for some reason. Case in point Pete and MJ, who before Brand New Day I would have listed as one of the couples that last.
Back to top Go down
Mr.Wholesome
Kingbreaker
Kingbreaker
Mr.Wholesome

Astonishing X-Men Empty
PostSubject: Re: Astonishing X-Men   Astonishing X-Men EmptyThu Jul 03, 2008 1:13 pm

The street clothes were pretty damned funny especially considering all of the fucking layers they were wearing. This is California and it's the fuckin' summer. Fuck that. Storm really looked ridiculous with her big ass hair in a giant tiara with winter street clothes on. Funny as hell. As for her being back, I liked her being back. I wouldn't have if she didn't talk about it being more of a visit. It makes sense for her to get home sick and want to come back for a little.After Ellis' run she should start missing her husband and want to go back home. That would make perfect sense. Plus I liked the way she and Frost played off of eachother. Their interaction was great.
Back to top Go down
True Believer
the numero dos
the numero dos
True Believer

Astonishing X-Men Empty
PostSubject: Re: Astonishing X-Men   Astonishing X-Men EmptyThu Jul 03, 2008 1:28 pm

Thomas wrote:
I don't like that they're in San Francisco, makes them seem like the Champions. Speaking of which they should bring back a new Champions team with Hercules and Amadeus Cho on it, that would be cool.

Also the helping the police and basically doing detective work, seems too much like X-factor, which does it better than this. The should have just moved X-factor to San Francisco.

What was up with the street clothes? Who wears shit like that? They looked like the villiage people. They would have blended in better in their costumes.

I don't like Storm being back yet. I liked the thought of her not being on the X books for a while, giving some other character some face time. Maybe in a couple years it would be ok for her to join back up, but it feels too soon right now. Eventually, some one will come along who doesn't like that she's married to Black Panther and will have them get divorced. Except for Reed and Sue and Clark and Lois, writers don't want couples to stay together for some reason. Case in point Pete and MJ, who before Brand New Day I would have listed as one of the couples that last.

I don't think an oversaturation of Storm is the problem when Cyclops is in every damn X-Book and Wolverine is going for the record for Most Simultaneous Monthly Appearances of Any Marvel Character.

As for working with the police I don't think that's something X-Factor will be doing anytime soon. Plus, the great thing is that there are, at least, two other books that will most likely portray the X-Men in all their superheroic glory.
Back to top Go down
Thomas
Global
Global
Thomas

Astonishing X-Men Empty
PostSubject: Re: Astonishing X-Men   Astonishing X-Men EmptyThu Jul 03, 2008 1:57 pm

Mr.Wholesome wrote:
The street clothes were pretty damned funny especially considering all of the fucking layers they were wearing. This is California and it's the fuckin' summer. Fuck that. Storm really looked ridiculous with her big ass hair in a giant tiara with winter street clothes on. Funny as hell. As for her being back, I liked her being back. I wouldn't have if she didn't talk about it being more of a visit. It makes sense for her to get home sick and want to come back for a little.After Ellis' run she should start missing her husband and want to go back home. That would make perfect sense. Plus I liked the way she and Frost played off of eachother. Their interaction was great.

Awww, I can't believe I forgot to mention the 80's hair that Storm was sporting, I was planning on it. She's a fucking Queen and her hair makes her look like the other kind of "Queen". Why the fuck is she so tall too, she was dwarfing everyone else except Beast. She's supposed to be the same height as Beast, an inch taller than Emma, and four inches shorter than Cyclops. Dwarfing Armor and Logan I can understand but the others even without the big hair.
Back to top Go down
PeteWisdom
The Chief of Sarcasm
The Chief of Sarcasm
PeteWisdom

Astonishing X-Men Empty
PostSubject: Re: Astonishing X-Men   Astonishing X-Men EmptyThu Jul 03, 2008 3:47 pm

Mr.Wholesome wrote:

San Francisco usually doesn't get blazing hot though. Alot of times its windy enough up there to be pretty decent.

As for Storm, I actually liked having her back in a damn X-book. I dunno what shes doing in Black Panther, I saw the SI teaser image in the book and theres no Storm anywhere, so who knows. I don't really like the marriage, it seemed rushed and forced.

Street Clothes part, I thought was funny, it made sense in some respect. It either makes people think of government lackey's or supervillians for the most part.

And whats wrong with San Francisco? Its the one city that actually accepts them since... well forever.
Back to top Go down
Mr.Wholesome
Kingbreaker
Kingbreaker
Mr.Wholesome

Astonishing X-Men Empty
PostSubject: Re: Astonishing X-Men   Astonishing X-Men EmptyThu Jul 03, 2008 3:57 pm

PeteWisdom wrote:
Mr.Wholesome wrote:

San Francisco usually doesn't get blazing hot though. Alot of times its windy enough up there to be pretty decent.

As for Storm, I actually liked having her back in a damn X-book. I dunno what shes doing in Black Panther, I saw the SI teaser image in the book and theres no Storm anywhere, so who knows. I don't really like the marriage, it seemed rushed and forced.

Street Clothes part, I thought was funny, it made sense in some respect. It either makes people think of government lackey's or supervillians for the most part.

And whats wrong with San Francisco? Its the one city that actually accepts them since... well forever.

I'm guessing that some of that response was supposed to be to Thomas. I liked seeing Storm here too. I do think that she should go back to Wakanda when the story is over but that's just because she's married to the Black Panther and it doesn't make sense for here to stay away from him indefinitely--unless they got a divorce.
Back to top Go down
Thomas
Global
Global
Thomas

Astonishing X-Men Empty
PostSubject: Re: Astonishing X-Men   Astonishing X-Men EmptyThu Jul 03, 2008 4:07 pm

Mr.Wholesome wrote:
PeteWisdom wrote:
Mr.Wholesome wrote:

I'm guessing that some of that response was supposed to be to Thomas. I liked seeing Storm here too. I do think that she should go back to Wakanda when the story is over but that's just because she's married to the Black Panther and it doesn't make sense for here to stay away from him indefinitely--unless they got a divorce.

No Divorce. If that happened, Black Panther would have to make a deal with Mephisto and that would lead to all kinds of trouble.
Back to top Go down
PeteWisdom
The Chief of Sarcasm
The Chief of Sarcasm
PeteWisdom

Astonishing X-Men Empty
PostSubject: Re: Astonishing X-Men   Astonishing X-Men EmptyThu Jul 03, 2008 4:16 pm

Thomas wrote:
Mr.Wholesome wrote:
PeteWisdom wrote:
Mr.Wholesome wrote:

No Divorce. If that happened, Black Panther would have to make a deal with Mephisto and that would lead to all kinds of trouble.

*cough* Skrull *cough*

REAAALLLLLY Hoping Storm is a Skrull.
Back to top Go down
Mr.Wholesome
Kingbreaker
Kingbreaker
Mr.Wholesome

Astonishing X-Men Empty
PostSubject: Re: Astonishing X-Men   Astonishing X-Men EmptyThu Jul 03, 2008 4:17 pm

Thomas wrote:
Mr.Wholesome wrote:
PeteWisdom wrote:
Mr.Wholesome wrote:

Indeed. Though...what if her deal was with Balasco?
Back to top Go down
DanElectro
The Man of Tomorrow
The Man of Tomorrow
DanElectro

Astonishing X-Men Empty
PostSubject: Re: Astonishing X-Men   Astonishing X-Men EmptyThu Jul 03, 2008 5:36 pm

Thomas wrote:

I thought the Champions were L.A. based. At least that's how it started out in issue number one. They met at UCLA!

I really like the fact they're in San Francisco...makes perfect sense. Fraction and Brubaker did a really funny interview recently and talked at length about why they decided to put the X-Men in San Francisco of all places... Really good and funny interview. If I find it, I'll provide the link here.

And as far as the street clothes go...it was pretty much building up to that from at least as far back as Civil War: X-Men when Scott, Bobby, Beat, and Arch Angel get all dressed up in leather to find the 198. The four of them thought it was pretty novel and asked Emma how she liked the look.
Back to top Go down
True Believer
the numero dos
the numero dos
True Believer

Astonishing X-Men Empty
PostSubject: Re: Astonishing X-Men   Astonishing X-Men EmptyThu Jul 03, 2008 6:00 pm

DanElectro wrote:
Thomas wrote:

I thought the Champions were L.A. based. At least that's how it started out in issue number one. They met at UCLA!

I really like the fact they're in San Francisco...makes perfect sense. Fraction and Brubaker did a really funny interview recently and talked at length about why they decided to put the X-Men in San Francisco of all places... Really good and funny interview. If I find it, I'll provide the link here.

And as far as the street clothes go...it was pretty much building up to that from at least as far back as Civil War: X-Men when Scott, Bobby, Beat, and Arch Angel get all dressed up in leather to find the 198. The four of them thought it was pretty novel and asked Emma how she liked the look.

I wouldn't mind if they went back to the less flamboyant uniforms of the Grant Morrison age rather than their costumes.
Back to top Go down
CaptainJoel
Fight for the Lost
Fight for the Lost
CaptainJoel

Astonishing X-Men Empty
PostSubject: Re: Astonishing X-Men   Astonishing X-Men EmptyThu Jul 03, 2008 6:06 pm

True Believer wrote:
DanElectro wrote:
Thomas wrote:

I wouldn't mind if they went back to the less flamboyant uniforms of the Grant Morrison age rather than their costumes.

I normally am all for the spandex and colors, but I really don't think they're in a place necessary for the regular costumes.

I'd love to see the Morrison suits back.
Back to top Go down
Mr.Wholesome
Kingbreaker
Kingbreaker
Mr.Wholesome

Astonishing X-Men Empty
PostSubject: Re: Astonishing X-Men   Astonishing X-Men EmptyThu Jul 03, 2008 6:48 pm

CaptainJoel wrote:
True Believer wrote:
DanElectro wrote:
Thomas wrote:

I normally am all for the spandex and colors, but I really don't think they're in a place necessary for the regular costumes.

That's what Beast was wearing.
Back to top Go down
Thomas
Global
Global
Thomas

Astonishing X-Men Empty
PostSubject: Re: Astonishing X-Men   Astonishing X-Men EmptyThu Jul 03, 2008 7:21 pm

Mr.Wholesome wrote:
CaptainJoel wrote:
True Believer wrote:
DanElectro wrote:
Thomas wrote:

I did like the uniforms. I liked the ones in the movies better though without the yellow.
Back to top Go down
Shadowrenderer
Local
Local
Shadowrenderer

Astonishing X-Men Empty
PostSubject: Re: Astonishing X-Men   Astonishing X-Men EmptyThu Jul 03, 2008 9:14 pm

PeteWisdom wrote:
DanElectro wrote:

Simone Bianchi.

I don't hate it... I like it better than the Jeph Loeb Wolverine arc... I think I was just really spoiled with Cassaday.

Its on issue #25 right now.

fix, he's Italian.
Back to top Go down

Astonishing X-Men Empty
PostSubject: Re: Astonishing X-Men   Astonishing X-Men EmptyThu Jul 03, 2008 9:59 pm

Thomas wrote:
Mr.Wholesome wrote:
CaptainJoel wrote:
True Believer wrote:
DanElectro wrote:
Thomas wrote:

I did like the uniforms. I liked the ones in the movies better though without the yellow.

I like that the x-men aren't on the east coast. For the most part, Marvel hasn't been including them with the rest of the universe - like civil war and if it wasn't for xavier, they wouldn't have been in wwh either. The street clothes aren't a bad idea, but at least try to make them somewhat normal. I used to live in SF and although it does get cold and windy in the fall and winter, however it's warm enough in the summer to not have wear a jacket at night. I think most artist draw male characters with too much clothing and the women too little and always impractical in a fight.
Back to top Go down
DanElectro
The Man of Tomorrow
The Man of Tomorrow
DanElectro

Astonishing X-Men Empty
PostSubject: Re: Astonishing X-Men   Astonishing X-Men EmptyThu Jul 03, 2008 10:00 pm

Here are the two links for the Brubaker and Fraction Interview on Wordballoon : Worth listening to both if you have the time...they talk quite a bit about the X-men as well as their rationale for moving the team to San Francisco

Part I

http://cdn1.libsyn.com/wordballoon/WBbrufractionaftd.mp3?nvb=20080704005556&nva=20080705005556&t=0918ea60d86d6496cfe45

Part II

http://cdn4.libsyn.com/wordballoon/WBbrubakerfractionpt2.mp3?nvb=20080704005631&nva=20080705005631&t=062bd3f46e6a0ab39a6c2

Back to top Go down
Shadowrenderer
Local
Local
Shadowrenderer

Astonishing X-Men Empty
PostSubject: Re: Astonishing X-Men   Astonishing X-Men EmptyThu Jul 03, 2008 10:06 pm

Jim! wrote:
Thomas wrote:
Mr.Wholesome wrote:
CaptainJoel wrote:
True Believer wrote:
DanElectro wrote:
Thomas wrote:

I like that the x-men aren't on the east coast. For the most part, Marvel hasn't been including them with the rest of the universe - like civil war and if it wasn't for xavier, they wouldn't have been in wwh either. The street clothes aren't a bad idea, but at least try to make them somewhat normal. I used to live in SF and although it does get cold and windy in the fall and winter, however it's warm enough in the summer to not have wear a jacket at night. I think most artist draw male characters with too much clothing and the women too little and always impractical in a fight.

Very true, there's only a few artists who draw street clothes realisticly. Plus you really need to do some research to get regional clothing right.

same goes for buildings & stuff.
Back to top Go down

Astonishing X-Men Empty
PostSubject: Re: Astonishing X-Men   Astonishing X-Men EmptyFri Jul 04, 2008 1:12 am

[quote="Shadowrenderer]

I like that the x-men aren't on the east coast. For the most part, Marvel hasn't been including them with the rest of the universe - like civil war and if it wasn't for xavier, they wouldn't have been in wwh either. The street clothes aren't a bad idea, but at least try to make them somewhat normal. I used to live in SF and although it does get cold and windy in the fall and winter, however it's warm enough in the summer to not have wear a jacket at night. I think most artist draw male characters with too much clothing and the women too little and always impractical in a fight.[/quote]

Very true, there's only a few artists who draw street clothes realisticly. Plus you really need to do some research to get regional clothing right.

same goes for buildings & stuff.
[/quote]

I remember reading Fantastic Four in the sixties and even Kirby drew people if they still lived in the forties and fifties: guys in suits and hats, women in dresses with pearls. The FF had uniforms that were identical because they were a family, the Avengers were a collection of individuals so no similar outlets. I think this is the way the x-men should go. I didn't like the leather biker look of morrison with the high waisted pants the beast wore. We get they're the x-men they don't need matching outfits with giant X's on them, Emma doesn't wear one, nor does Cyclops or Storm. I would like to see them in practical street clothes. And for crying out load, wtf does Gambit wear - with the knee pads and the the frame-your-face tiara?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Astonishing X-Men Empty
PostSubject: Re: Astonishing X-Men   Astonishing X-Men Empty

Back to top Go down

Astonishing X-Men
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
the Anti-Registration Act :: the Comic Centre :: General-isms-
Jump to: