the Anti-Registration Act
Why hello there!
Sign in or up for all the exciting stuff Wink
Why hello there!
Sign in or up for all the exciting stuff Wink
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

"before Watchmen"

Go down 
+8
NoLuv4Hoes
Tim Radd
Mr.Wholesome
Aycock
Brian21
Thomas
CaptainJoel
Shadowrenderer
12 posters
AuthorMessage
Shadowrenderer
Local
Local
Shadowrenderer

Male Age : 45

"before Watchmen" Empty
PostSubject: "before Watchmen"   "before Watchmen" EmptyWed Feb 01, 2012 7:51 pm

I'm just quoting this from the source I got it from.

[quote author=sharcque board=general thread=7309 post=186110 time=1328108917]"before Watchmen" Watchmen-24

Truth be told, I had very little interest in this dating back to when it was first leaked (in 2009, was it?) all the way until this morning when I read the details and saw the creative teams & preview art. While I'm still not in an "I can't wait for this" mode for this, I can say that I will probably get some of them....my curiosity is piqued and some of the creative teams rock. There's a ton of pub on this today in just about any medium you can think of: CBR, DC Source, the NY Times, USA Today, Hollywood Reporter, the LA Times & Wired. Seven minis in all...

edit: found it: Each week, a new issue will be released, and will feature a two-page back-up story called Curse of the Crimson Corsair, written by original series editor Len Wein and with art by original series colorist John Higgins. There will also be a single issue, Before Watchmen: Epilogue, featuring the work of various writers and artists, and a Crimson Corsair story by Wein and Higgins.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Before Watchmen by Len Wein & John Higgins "before Watchmen" Watchmen

Rorschach by Brian Azzarello and Lee Bermejo
"before Watchmen" DC-gives-Watchmen-a-graphic-past-LQU6DTP-x-large

Comedian by Brian Azzarello and JG Jones)
"before Watchmen" Comics-popup

Minutemen by Darwyn Cooke
"before Watchmen" Watchmen_2012_mm_cvr

Silk Spectre by Darwyn Cooke and Amanda Conner
"before Watchmen" Before-Watchmen-cover_510

Doctor Manhattan by J Michael Straczynski and Adam Hughes
"before Watchmen" 1328041553-500x768

Nite Owl by Joe Michael Strazynski (and presumably Andy and Joe Kubert)
"before Watchmen" Watchmen_2012_nite_cvr

Ozymandias by Len Wein and Jae Lee.
"before Watchmen" WATCHMEN_2012_OZY_Cvr-500x768[/quote]
Back to top Go down
CaptainJoel
Fight for the Lost
Fight for the Lost
CaptainJoel

Male Age : 34

"before Watchmen" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "before Watchmen"   "before Watchmen" EmptyWed Feb 01, 2012 9:40 pm

I really just hope that Comedian isn't ruined for me after this.
Back to top Go down
Thomas
Global
Global
Thomas

"before Watchmen" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "before Watchmen"   "before Watchmen" EmptyWed Feb 01, 2012 10:12 pm

I suppose prequels won't be that bad. If they tried to pick up where the original left off then that would suck.
Back to top Go down
Brian21
Rogue
Rogue
Brian21

Male Age : 37

"before Watchmen" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "before Watchmen"   "before Watchmen" EmptyFri Feb 10, 2012 6:20 pm

Is Alan Moore pissing and moaning about it yet?
Back to top Go down
Aycock
The Omega
The Omega
Aycock

Male Age : 36

"before Watchmen" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "before Watchmen"   "before Watchmen" EmptyFri Feb 10, 2012 8:12 pm

Brian21 wrote:
Well he created the characters and the universe so I think he has the right to.
Back to top Go down
Shadowrenderer
Local
Local
Shadowrenderer

"before Watchmen" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "before Watchmen"   "before Watchmen" EmptyFri Feb 10, 2012 10:23 pm

Brian21 wrote:

Yes he is.

& he has no grounds for bitching. His entire career has been about talking other ppls characters & changing them. Lost Girls anyone?
Back to top Go down
Mr.Wholesome
Kingbreaker
Kingbreaker
Mr.Wholesome

Male Age : 48

"before Watchmen" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "before Watchmen"   "before Watchmen" EmptySat Feb 11, 2012 12:00 am

Shadowrenderer wrote:
Brian21 wrote:

Yes he is.

& he has no grounds for bitching. His entire career has been about talking other ppls characters & changing them. Lost Girls anyone?

I'm guessing that everybody, except Aycock, has read a few articles about what a hypocrite Moore is. I would have never expected fans to turn on him so easily, but I have. There are a lot of valid arguments about why Moore has no room to bitch.

Back to top Go down
Tim Radd
Caramel Bear
Caramel Bear
Tim Radd

"before Watchmen" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "before Watchmen"   "before Watchmen" EmptySat Feb 11, 2012 12:27 am

Mr.Wholesome wrote:
Shadowrenderer wrote:
Brian21 wrote:

Yes he is.

I'm guessing that everybody, except Aycock, has read a few articles about what a hypocrite Moore is. I would have never expected fans to turn on him so easily, but I have. There are a lot of valid arguments about why Moore has no room to bitch.

I can see/understand everyone's view on why he shouldn't complain...But I completely understand him doing so, if it were my story my reaction would basically be, "if I wanted there to be more to this story, I would have written more. But I didn't, so fuck off". Also, his entire career has not been about taking other's characters.
Back to top Go down
Brian21
Rogue
Rogue
Brian21

"before Watchmen" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "before Watchmen"   "before Watchmen" EmptySat Feb 11, 2012 1:01 am

Aycock wrote:
Brian21 wrote:
Well he created the characters and the universe so I think he has the right to.

I don't really care if he complains or not, I was only curious if he'd made any public statements or not. And since Watchmen and all related characters are owned by DC, He can bitch all he wants, but it ain't gonna amount to much.
Back to top Go down
NoLuv4Hoes
The Champ
The Champ
NoLuv4Hoes

Male Age : 38

"before Watchmen" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "before Watchmen"   "before Watchmen" EmptySat Feb 11, 2012 3:26 am

Tim Radd wrote:
Mr.Wholesome wrote:
Shadowrenderer wrote:
Brian21 wrote:

Yes he is.

I can see/understand everyone's view on why he shouldn't complain...But I completely understand him doing so, if it were my story my reaction would basically be, "if I wanted there to be more to this story, I would have written more. But I didn't, so fuck off". Also, his entire career has not been about taking other's characters.

^this plus im not jumping on the YEAH FUCK MOORE bandwagon if it took you this long to comes to terms w/ the fact a man who had a polygamist marriage for like ever and is a part time magician AND writes crazy ass comics MIGHT BE idk... a crazy dude himself who just likes to talk to much then more power to you sheeple but its whatever i am a huuuuuge fan of his work but that doesnt mean of approve of his bitching or that it has to be so black and white. the options arent either ur on his dick hard or fuck him js

as long as he keeps writing good books unless hes talkin about his work or idk magic or some cool shit like that i could give a fuck less what he has to say about anything really its not like i enjoy them any less cuz a loony likes to rant (irony?)

/rant

Back to top Go down
GoZ
The Main Man
The Main Man
GoZ

Male Age : 50

"before Watchmen" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "before Watchmen"   "before Watchmen" EmptySat Feb 11, 2012 3:32 am

Here is my question...Why are so many "top names" willing to jump on this? Is it because they were asked to, and want to be associated with it? If it is a big deal, wouldn't fellow creators turn it down, on principle? I'm not sure where I stand on this, but when I see names like Darwyn Cooke and Len Wein attached to it, I have to question....
Back to top Go down
NoLuv4Hoes
The Champ
The Champ
NoLuv4Hoes

"before Watchmen" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "before Watchmen"   "before Watchmen" EmptySat Feb 11, 2012 3:53 am

GoZ wrote:
Here is my question...Why are so many "top names" willing to jump on this? Is it because they were asked to, and want to be associated with it? If it is a big deal, wouldn't fellow creators turn it down, on principle? I'm not sure where I stand on this, but when I see names like Darwyn Cooke and Len Wein attached to it, I have to question....

Exactly is it the writers hypin up the bs? Or is it bloggers and fanboys and all that shit fanning the flames? Is it DC, maybe, that would make sense to wanna drum up as much attention as possible one way or another
Back to top Go down
Tim Radd
Caramel Bear
Caramel Bear
Tim Radd

"before Watchmen" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "before Watchmen"   "before Watchmen" EmptySat Feb 11, 2012 4:12 am

NoLuv4Hoes wrote:
Tim Radd wrote:
Mr.Wholesome wrote:
Shadowrenderer wrote:
Brian21 wrote:

Yes he is.

^this plus im not jumping on the YEAH FUCK MOORE bandwagon if it took you this long to comes to terms w/ the fact a man who had a polygamist marriage for like ever and is a part time magician AND writes crazy ass comics MIGHT BE idk... a crazy dude himself who just likes to talk to much then more power to you sheeple but its whatever i am a huuuuuge fan of his work but that doesnt mean of approve of his bitching or that it has to be so black and white. the options arent either ur on his dick hard or fuck him js

as long as he keeps writing good books unless hes talkin about his work or idk magic or some cool shit like that i could give a fuck less what he has to say about anything really its not like i enjoy them any less cuz a loony likes to rant (irony?)

/rant

I respect Alan Moore's writing skill. I think he'd be an hilarious person to chill with, with all his witchcraft and epic beard and what not. But I've never really like enjoyed his books as much as the public does. I tend to enjoy the controversy and arguments he starts/about him more than his books.
Back to top Go down
NoLuv4Hoes
The Champ
The Champ
NoLuv4Hoes

"before Watchmen" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "before Watchmen"   "before Watchmen" EmptySat Feb 11, 2012 4:35 am

Tim Radd wrote:
NoLuv4Hoes wrote:
Tim Radd wrote:
Mr.Wholesome wrote:
Shadowrenderer wrote:
Brian21 wrote:

Yes he is.

/rant

I respect Alan Moore's writing skill. I think he'd be an hilarious person to chill with, with all his witchcraft and epic beard and what not. But I've never really like enjoyed his books as much as the public does. I tend to enjoy the controversy and arguments he starts/about him more than his books.

see i can respect that 100% cuz YOU decided that, it wasn't some shit some nerd put that on Cracked.com or some bullshit and all of the sudden your like WHAAAAAAA ALAN MOORE THE FAMOUS CRAZY IS ........CRAZY ?!?!?!?! BOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

also Laughing don't think i'm like grrrr at my ARA fam in all this I mean the fan community in general for the most part, I'm not too concerned with this issue and my dawgs cuz i know you've all put the work in
Back to top Go down
True Believer
the numero dos
the numero dos
True Believer

Male Age : 35

"before Watchmen" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "before Watchmen"   "before Watchmen" EmptySat Feb 11, 2012 10:02 am

GoZ wrote:

I think most writers and artist aren't really friends with Alan Moore. I'm sure they all respect his work, but I doubt he's had JMS, Darwyn Cooke, and Brian Azzarello for tea. It's possible Len Wein met him and thought he was a cunt. Which is why, I assume, they have no moral compunctions over it and just wanted to play around with characters from one of the most influential comic book stories in history.

For example, they probably tapped Gibbons to do something and since his relationship with Moore is already a little rocky after the movie I doubt he'd do this and ruin it completely. Which probably doesn't pay nearly as well, anyway.

And on the topic of Alan Moore, even though I don't necessarily agree with him, I do find the "Alan Moore needs to stop bitching" comments distasteful, considering he did make the characters and the world. Yes, they were supposed to be DC characters originally, but they're not (and had they been they'd have been alt-universe versions, let's be honest.) Considering DC's gonna make an assload of money the man should at least be allowed to complain.
Back to top Go down
GoZ
The Main Man
The Main Man
GoZ

Male Age : 50

"before Watchmen" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "before Watchmen"   "before Watchmen" EmptySun Feb 12, 2012 12:06 am

True Believer wrote:
GoZ wrote:

I think most writers and artist aren't really friends with Alan Moore. I'm sure they all respect his work, but I doubt he's had JMS, Darwyn Cooke, and Brian Azzarello for tea. It's possible Len Wein met him and thought he was a cunt. Which is why, I assume, they have no moral compunctions over it and just wanted to play around with characters from one of the most influential comic book stories in history.

For example, they probably tapped Gibbons to do something and since his relationship with Moore is already a little rocky after the movie I doubt he'd do this and ruin it completely. Which probably doesn't pay nearly as well, anyway.

And on the topic of Alan Moore, even though I don't necessarily agree with him, I do find the "Alan Moore needs to stop bitching" comments distasteful, considering he did make the characters and the world. Yes, they were supposed to be DC characters originally, but they're not (and had they been they'd have been alt-universe versions, let's be honest.) Considering DC's gonna make an assload of money the man should at least be allowed to complain.

What I'm really wondering about, I guess, is the whole "Creator's Rights"-issue.... If the comic creating community is behind it, as much as they proclaim to be, wouldn't they turn down the project out of principle? Are these guys(most of which are acclaimed, and well respected) jump on this project because they were just, "FUCK IT! I want to play with these toys!" Or is it purely monetary? Or are they just resigned to the fact that it's going to happen, regardless, and jump on board so that it's not a cluster fuck?
Back to top Go down
Liquid Sword
The Immortal Weapon
The Immortal Weapon
Liquid Sword

"before Watchmen" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "before Watchmen"   "before Watchmen" EmptySun Feb 12, 2012 5:08 am

GoZ wrote:
True Believer wrote:
GoZ wrote:

What I'm really wondering about, I guess, is the whole "Creator's Rights"-issue.... If the comic creating community is behind it, as much as they proclaim to be, wouldn't they turn down the project out of principle? Are these guys(most of which are acclaimed, and well respected) jump on this project because they were just, "FUCK IT! I want to play with these toys!" Or is it purely monetary? Or are they just resigned to the fact that it's going to happen, regardless, and jump on board so that it's not a cluster fuck?

From what Azzarello said, I think he was doing it out of respect for Alan Moore, more than anything. I don't think any of the creators are doing this because they have a thing against Alan. Regardless of what they might actually think of him, I think they did it because DC approached them as the perceived "best" for the task. I mean, if all these guys turned it down, DC would of just found others willing to do it. I think it's a "who better than me to try and live up to the work," kind of mindset.

As far as the comic community, no one ever really values the creator over the product. If it's a choice between creator disputes that halt production and the company scumming the creator but with regular product being released, it's always gonna be the latter that wins out. It's why even the most loyal Moore fans will end up liking the idea of this if it turns out to be really well done.
Back to top Go down
Shadowrenderer
Local
Local
Shadowrenderer

"before Watchmen" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "before Watchmen"   "before Watchmen" EmptySun Feb 12, 2012 9:55 pm

I have no problem with it. At first I was unsure, but this is DC's property the same as Superman, Batman etc. Yeah Watchman is a complete story & doesn't need any more added to it. But that's true of many stories. Most stuff Alan Moore has written has been someone else's property (or at least based on it). Swamp Thing, Superman, Supreme, Miracleman, Lost Girls and so on. Even League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. His ABC stuff is the only thing I can think of right now that's actually original characters (aside from Watchmen) & they're mostly based on established stereotypes anyway.
Back to top Go down
Raziel
Global
Global
Raziel

"before Watchmen" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "before Watchmen"   "before Watchmen" EmptySun Feb 12, 2012 10:20 pm

I think this is going be fan-fictionish.
Back to top Go down
Shadowrenderer
Local
Local
Shadowrenderer

"before Watchmen" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "before Watchmen"   "before Watchmen" EmptySun Feb 12, 2012 10:28 pm

Shadowrenderer wrote:
I have no problem with it. At first I was unsure, but this is DC's property the same as Superman, Batman etc. Yeah Watchman is a complete story & doesn't need any more added to it. But that's true of many stories. Most stuff Alan Moore has written has been someone else's property (or at least based on it). Swamp Thing, Superman, Supreme, Miracleman, Lost Girls and so on. Even League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. His ABC stuff is the only thing I can think of right now that's actually original characters (aside from Watchmen) & they're mostly based on established archetypes anyway.

ftfm
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

"before Watchmen" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "before Watchmen"   "before Watchmen" Empty

Back to top Go down

"before Watchmen"
Page 1 of 1