the Anti-Registration Act
Why hello there!
Sign in or up for all the exciting stuff Wink
Why hello there!
Sign in or up for all the exciting stuff Wink
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

"MUST READ" COMICS

Go down 
+12
Shaun
JoeZarro
howie024m
Thomas
NoLuv4Hoes
GoZ
True Believer
CaptainJoel
Brian21
TJ
shazam!
Shadowrenderer
16 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Shadowrenderer
Local
Local
Shadowrenderer

Male Age : 45

"MUST READ" COMICS Empty
PostSubject: "MUST READ" COMICS   "MUST READ" COMICS EmptyThu Aug 13, 2009 10:12 pm

OK so there's plenty of comics that are considered "classic" or "must read" but how many of them have ppl read? & are they really that good?

This is the place to discuss; tell us what you consider classic or must read, what so-called must read books are not really all that great, & what have & haven't you read.

I'll kick off.
I know it's generally considered that Watchmen is a classic & everyone who calls themselves a comic fan MUST read it. I wouldn't say must, but it is a classic for sure.

As for The Dark Knight Returns... not so much. Maybe it was hyped too much b4 I read it, but I really didn't think it was that good.

& personally I think any "must read" comics need to be classified. I mean someone who likes comics but isn't a fan of superheroes isn't really gonna want to read Watchmen... So I'd classify the books. If you're a Spider-man fan read these books, etc.

Back to top Go down
shazam!
The Man of Tomorrow
The Man of Tomorrow
shazam!

Male Age : 92

"MUST READ" COMICS Empty
PostSubject: Re: "MUST READ" COMICS   "MUST READ" COMICS EmptyThu Aug 13, 2009 11:21 pm

Shadowrenderer wrote:

As for The Dark Knight Returns... not so much. Maybe it was hyped too much b4 I read it, but I really didn't think it was that good.

It's okay. But yeah, I like batman the detective better than batman the thug.
Back to top Go down
TJ
Dark Prime
Dark Prime
TJ

Male Age : 37

"MUST READ" COMICS Empty
PostSubject: Re: "MUST READ" COMICS   "MUST READ" COMICS EmptyThu Aug 13, 2009 11:37 pm

I read a tweet from Jim Lee when he was reading Alan Moore's The Girls. And he used the term "brilliant" to describe it, so.....i haven't read it yet, but it sounds it will probably be up there.
Back to top Go down
Shadowrenderer
Local
Local
Shadowrenderer

"MUST READ" COMICS Empty
PostSubject: Re: "MUST READ" COMICS   "MUST READ" COMICS EmptyThu Aug 13, 2009 11:48 pm

shazam! wrote:
Shadowrenderer wrote:

Yeah, good description.
Back to top Go down
Brian21
Rogue
Rogue
Brian21

Male Age : 36

"MUST READ" COMICS Empty
PostSubject: Re: "MUST READ" COMICS   "MUST READ" COMICS EmptyThu Aug 13, 2009 11:53 pm

shazam! wrote:
Shadowrenderer wrote:

I personally loved DKR. I don't consider it to be the definitive take on Batman at all, I think Batman in The Long Halloween is one of the best portrayals of Batman I've seen. But I liked DKR for what it was.
Back to top Go down
Shadowrenderer
Local
Local
Shadowrenderer

"MUST READ" COMICS Empty
PostSubject: Re: "MUST READ" COMICS   "MUST READ" COMICS EmptyFri Aug 14, 2009 12:04 am

Brian21 wrote:
shazam! wrote:
Shadowrenderer wrote:

I personally loved DKR. I don't consider it to be the definitive take on Batman at all, I think Batman in The Long Halloween is one of the best portrayals of Batman I've seen. But I liked DKR for what it was.

There's been so many interpretations of Batman over the years, Camp 60's, Thug Miller version, more detective based stuff etc. I guess DKR just isn't my Batman.
Back to top Go down
CaptainJoel
Fight for the Lost
Fight for the Lost
CaptainJoel

Male Age : 34

"MUST READ" COMICS Empty
PostSubject: Re: "MUST READ" COMICS   "MUST READ" COMICS EmptyFri Aug 14, 2009 12:12 am

Superman: Red Son, it's the comic book that got me back into Superman. The art is phenomenal, the story is brilliant, and the overall product is phenomenal. Everyone should read it.
Back to top Go down
Shadowrenderer
Local
Local
Shadowrenderer

"MUST READ" COMICS Empty
PostSubject: Re: "MUST READ" COMICS   "MUST READ" COMICS EmptyFri Aug 14, 2009 12:21 am

CaptainJoel wrote:
Superman: Red Son, it's the comic book that got me back into Superman. The art is phenomenal, the story is brilliant, and the overall product is phenomenal. Everyone should read it.

I will... 1 day.
Back to top Go down
CaptainJoel
Fight for the Lost
Fight for the Lost
CaptainJoel

"MUST READ" COMICS Empty
PostSubject: Re: "MUST READ" COMICS   "MUST READ" COMICS EmptyFri Aug 14, 2009 12:42 am

Shadowrenderer wrote:
CaptainJoel wrote:

I will... 1 day.

We have it in the OQL, Dan.
Back to top Go down
True Believer
the numero dos
the numero dos
True Believer

"MUST READ" COMICS Empty
PostSubject: Re: "MUST READ" COMICS   "MUST READ" COMICS EmptyFri Aug 14, 2009 12:57 am

CaptainJoel wrote:
Shadowrenderer wrote:
CaptainJoel wrote:

I will... 1 day.

I don't think that's what's stopping him.
Back to top Go down
Shadowrenderer
Local
Local
Shadowrenderer

"MUST READ" COMICS Empty
PostSubject: Re: "MUST READ" COMICS   "MUST READ" COMICS EmptyFri Aug 14, 2009 12:59 am

True Believer wrote:
CaptainJoel wrote:
Shadowrenderer wrote:
CaptainJoel wrote:

I will... 1 day.

Yeah it's Millar & I just not a fan... But I've heard nothing but good things, I will read it. Really.
Back to top Go down
CaptainJoel
Fight for the Lost
Fight for the Lost
CaptainJoel

"MUST READ" COMICS Empty
PostSubject: Re: "MUST READ" COMICS   "MUST READ" COMICS EmptyFri Aug 14, 2009 1:04 am

Shadowrenderer wrote:
True Believer wrote:
CaptainJoel wrote:
Shadowrenderer wrote:
CaptainJoel wrote:

I will... 1 day.

Yeah it's Millar & I just not a fan... But I've heard nothing but good things, I will read it. Really.

Really? What do you have against Millar, Dan? He isn't by any stretch a bad writer.
Back to top Go down
GoZ
The Main Man
The Main Man
GoZ

Male Age : 50

"MUST READ" COMICS Empty
PostSubject: Re: "MUST READ" COMICS   "MUST READ" COMICS EmptyFri Aug 14, 2009 1:06 am

CaptainJoel wrote:
Shadowrenderer wrote:
True Believer wrote:
CaptainJoel wrote:
Shadowrenderer wrote:
CaptainJoel wrote:

I will... 1 day.

Really? What do you have against Millar, Dan? He isn't by any stretch a bad writer.

Dan thinks Millar like to make everyone a drug addict and a sodomite....(Light Yellow)
Back to top Go down
Shadowrenderer
Local
Local
Shadowrenderer

"MUST READ" COMICS Empty
PostSubject: Re: "MUST READ" COMICS   "MUST READ" COMICS EmptyFri Aug 14, 2009 1:08 am

GoZ damn it, GoZ!

I'm not a fan of his style.

You make 1 comment.... *sigh*
Back to top Go down
CaptainJoel
Fight for the Lost
Fight for the Lost
CaptainJoel

"MUST READ" COMICS Empty
PostSubject: Re: "MUST READ" COMICS   "MUST READ" COMICS EmptyFri Aug 14, 2009 1:14 am

Shadowrenderer wrote:
GoZ damn it, GoZ!

Oh, I see, Dan... Not a fan of Darker themed heroes?
Back to top Go down
Shadowrenderer
Local
Local
Shadowrenderer

"MUST READ" COMICS Empty
PostSubject: Re: "MUST READ" COMICS   "MUST READ" COMICS EmptyFri Aug 14, 2009 1:18 am

CaptainJoel wrote:
Shadowrenderer wrote:
GoZ damn it, GoZ!

That's a bit simplistic, tho' normally no. Having said that I did say Watchmen is awesome. It's complicated... Generally I prefer my heroes to be heroic if you know what I mean. I didn't like his Authority, Ellis' run was far superior (tho' I preferred Stormwatch). & I thought Ult X-Men was pretty bad. Characters personality changed for no apparent reason.

I'm also not a fan of Ennis, wanna talk about that?

Kidding, lets not...
Back to top Go down
shazam!
The Man of Tomorrow
The Man of Tomorrow
shazam!

"MUST READ" COMICS Empty
PostSubject: Re: "MUST READ" COMICS   "MUST READ" COMICS EmptyFri Aug 14, 2009 3:23 am

Preacher. Everyone should read Preacher. Everyone.

Even Dan.

But yeah, heroes should be heroic, so I'd also recommend Invincible and Wagner's Trinity.

I can't recommend Denny O'Neil's Question enough. One of my favorite runs on a comic ever. It works for everyone, from regular comic fans to smug vertigo bastards imo.
Back to top Go down
Shadowrenderer
Local
Local
Shadowrenderer

"MUST READ" COMICS Empty
PostSubject: Re: "MUST READ" COMICS   "MUST READ" COMICS EmptyFri Aug 14, 2009 9:38 am

shazam! wrote:
Preacher. Everyone should read Preacher. Everyone.

Even Dan.

But yeah, heroes should be heroic, so I'd also recommend Invincible and Wagner's Trinity.

I can't recommend Denny O'Neil's Question enough. One of my favorite runs on a comic ever. It works for everyone, from regular comic fans to smug vertigo bastards imo.

I've read about Preacher & I've gotta say, it doesn't sound appealing...

But I do wanna read Invincible some time.
Back to top Go down
NoLuv4Hoes
The Champ
The Champ
NoLuv4Hoes

Male Age : 38

"MUST READ" COMICS Empty
PostSubject: Re: "MUST READ" COMICS   "MUST READ" COMICS EmptyFri Aug 14, 2009 11:01 am

any plastic man written by kyle baker. flat out, its amazing.
Back to top Go down
shazam!
The Man of Tomorrow
The Man of Tomorrow
shazam!

"MUST READ" COMICS Empty
PostSubject: Re: "MUST READ" COMICS   "MUST READ" COMICS EmptyFri Aug 14, 2009 4:06 pm

NoLuv4Hoes wrote:
any plastic man written by kyle baker. flat out, its amazing.

Spidey/Venom Cheers!
Back to top Go down
Thomas
Global
Global
Thomas

"MUST READ" COMICS Empty
PostSubject: Re: "MUST READ" COMICS   "MUST READ" COMICS EmptyFri Aug 14, 2009 4:08 pm

Starman. Robinson is awesome.
Back to top Go down
howie024m
Local
Local
howie024m

Male Age : 37

"MUST READ" COMICS Empty
PostSubject: Re: "MUST READ" COMICS   "MUST READ" COMICS EmptyFri Aug 14, 2009 4:09 pm

The Sandman by Neil Gaiman Vols. 1-10

"MUST READ" COMICS 0811835928_large
Back to top Go down
CaptainJoel
Fight for the Lost
Fight for the Lost
CaptainJoel

"MUST READ" COMICS Empty
PostSubject: Re: "MUST READ" COMICS   "MUST READ" COMICS EmptyFri Aug 14, 2009 4:51 pm

Shadowrenderer wrote:
CaptainJoel wrote:
Shadowrenderer wrote:
GoZ damn it, GoZ!

That's a bit simplistic, tho' normally no. Having said that I did say Watchmen is awesome. It's complicated... Generally I prefer my heroes to be heroic if you know what I mean. I didn't like his Authority, Ellis' run was far superior (tho' I preferred Stormwatch). & I thought Ult X-Men was pretty bad. Characters personality changed for no apparent reason.

I'm also not a fan of Ennis, wanna talk about that?

Kidding, lets not...

I don't like a lot of Ennis' stuff myself, Herogasm is the only thing I really enjoy, The Boys doesn't have the same feel for me, I think it's because of the different characters it centers around.
Back to top Go down
JoeZarro
Youngling
Youngling
JoeZarro

"MUST READ" COMICS Empty
PostSubject: Re: "MUST READ" COMICS   "MUST READ" COMICS EmptySat Aug 15, 2009 1:25 am

All time..
"MUST READ" COMICS Batman_thelonghalloween_1

For me.. or anyone like me, Desolation Jones by Warren Ellis. Top notch fo' sho.
"MUST READ" COMICS DESOLATION_JONES_NOT_WIDE
Back to top Go down
Shaun
The Man of Tomorrow
The Man of Tomorrow
Shaun

Male Age : 38

"MUST READ" COMICS Empty
PostSubject: Re: "MUST READ" COMICS   "MUST READ" COMICS EmptySat Aug 15, 2009 1:58 am

JoeZarro wrote:
All time..
"MUST READ" COMICS Batman_thelonghalloween_1

agreed
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

"MUST READ" COMICS Empty
PostSubject: Re: "MUST READ" COMICS   "MUST READ" COMICS Empty

Back to top Go down

"MUST READ" COMICS
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum